GoLite 1 season down quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: mmmmm on 10/20/2010 23:57:58 MDT Print View

"...quilts arent much ligher than bags once you figure in the weight for head insulation ..."

Funny, my personal, current ~30deg (minimum), quilt weighs 13.5oz.

How much does your head gear weigh? :P

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
i'm going to pay for this in the morning on 10/21/2010 00:00:24 MDT Print View

I agree! it's 2 am....this was fun.

Sorry Jon for destroying your thread. Yes, the new 1 season is accurately rated (looking at the down fill weight). The old golite ultra 20 had enough down to be more of a 30 degree quilt. The difference in weight between the older warmer and lighter golite quilt, and the new 1 season, is attributed to the fact that golite went super green and is using heavier recycled materials in their gear now

Edited by Konrad1013 on 10/21/2010 00:04:35 MDT.

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Re: i'm going to pay for this in the morning on 10/21/2010 05:36:04 MDT Print View

Green materials and etc. have raised weights a bit across the board for golite, but at least the Ultra 20 quilt has gained weight mostly due to additional down. It's quite definitely a solid 20 degree quilt now. Heck, its single layer lofts almost as high as my old 20 degree bag does with both layers on top of each other. Probably the case with the 1 season quilt too.

It's also very, very comfortable. If you can find a good deal on a Golite quilt (and you often can), they're a great value,

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Good on 10/21/2010 07:20:23 MDT Print View

The Ultra 20 was a great quilt (mine still is!) and I am sure that the new 3 Season is just as good; personally I like the recycled content of material used in it and don't mind the slight increase in weight for that.

The discussion was very interesting. In my opinion a quilt will always be lighter and warmer when compared to a sleeping bag of the same warmth category, reasoning being that with a sleeping bag you compress the loft underneath and don't gain from it.

I <3 quilts, btw.

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Re: i'm going to pay for this in the morning on 10/21/2010 09:45:35 MDT Print View

"Sorry Jon for destroying your thread."

Not destroyed at all :-) What's the purpose of a forum if not for discussion and debate?

Comparing the numbers (weights, fill, loft and so on) only takes me so far, hence the need to enquire about real world experience of the products, but much of what has been said seems to reinforce what the numbers suggest. It was so much easier in the past, wandering into Black's and trying out a few sleeping bags on the shop floor, but with quilts there are so few options that I'm having to buy from the Internet; and returns policies here in the UK are nowhere near as generous as in the US (Oh, how I miss L.L. Bean and REI!)

Jason McSpadden
(JBMcSr1) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
I might be able to help some... on 10/21/2010 10:33:15 MDT Print View

Jon, If you decide you want to purchase this quilt I may be able to help you. Golite is having a warehouse sale in my town. The quilt is 50% off or $120.00 in any size. Local tax is (I think) 7.5%. I have no idea what it would cost to send to you, insurance, etc. I don't even know if this is legal, although I don't know why it wouldn't be. Let me know.

Jason

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
uk on 10/21/2010 11:08:21 MDT Print View

if yr in the UK try looking at top bags by rab and phd and others ...

if i remember correctly they are basically sleeping bags with no insulation on the bottom that you slide a mat into ...

used by adventure racers alot out there

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Tempting... on 10/21/2010 12:59:30 MDT Print View

Jason, that's extremely kind of you. I've just checked the likely shipping costs and related details and it does come out at a tempting price... unless HM Customs slap an import fee on the package (which is fairly likely; it's very much pot luck getting things from abroad here). If they do then the quilt would cost rather more than it's currently selling for on UK sites, even without discounts. I think I'll wait for the imminent sales and special offers, since GoLite stuff is often reduced over winter, but I do very much appreciate your offer.

Eric, I've tried the Rab top bags before and they're just too narrow for me. Likewise the PHD bags, but PHD will at least do a wide version... for an extra fee. A custom PHD bag is my number one alternative to the GoLite quilt but it would be considerably more expensive - probably double - and the flexibility of quilt sleeping suits me. Last year I made a synthetic quilt following Ray Jardine's pattern and it's a delight to sleep under. If only it didn't fill almost my entire rucksack and weigh twice as much as a down quilt it would be perfect!

Mark Lucht
(Lucky489) - F

Locale: Southwest
GoLite 1 Season quilt. on 10/21/2010 17:02:48 MDT Print View

I have slept in mine at 38% in a solo tent and wore socks, long john, bottom, a light fleece, with a light weight balaclava, and was quite confortable. Not cold at all.

I am sure with my down sweater & a thicker hood I could get down to 20 quite easily. My bad is BA dual air core.