November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
most comfy foam pad
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffrey McConnell
most comfy foam pad on 10/17/2010 20:12:01 MDT Print View

I'm considering switching from a BA insulated air core pad to a foam pad to save weight. What's the most comfy foam pad of them all?

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: most comfy foam pad on 10/17/2010 20:20:16 MDT Print View

Closed cell or open cell / self inflator?

Jeffrey McConnell
closed on 10/17/2010 20:33:32 MDT Print View

Closed cell

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
pads on 10/17/2010 20:39:18 MDT Print View

Probably the Thermarest stuff as the GG Nightlite is a bit hard comparably. But I live in the middle of gear hell without much around to compare to.

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: most comfy foam pad on 10/17/2010 20:45:49 MDT Print View

The Nightlight from Gossamer Gear gets high marks around here. My impression is the Z-rest comes in a close second for comfort.

I personally cannot get comfortable on them on most surfaces, though. Too bad for me!

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: most comfy foam pad on 10/17/2010 21:20:01 MDT Print View

I've tried from 2.5 inch inflatable BA insulated pads, to GG NigthLight egg crate pads, to 3/8" closed cell foam pads, to 1/4" GG ThinLight pads. What I have determined, at least for me (YMMV), is that site selection is what really matters. If I sleep on hard desert floor on a 2.5" inflatable pad, I won't sleep any better than on the 1/4" foam pad (which won't be very well). All the pad does for me is #1 insulate me from the cold ground and #2 make the sharp objects I'm sleeping on less uncomfortable.

So as the ultralight maniac I am, nothing is substantially better than the lightest option, so I go with the 1/4" foam pad for my 3 season gear. I simply chose to sleep on top of some type of natural padding/insulation, and I sleep great on my super thin pad.

Andy F
(AndyF) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: most comfy foam pad on 10/18/2010 00:08:06 MDT Print View

"What's the most comfy foam pad of them all?"

The one you sleep on on your back.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: most comfy foam pad on 10/18/2010 05:30:27 MDT Print View

Perhaps the Ridgerest Solar or Ridgerest

John G
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY
foam pad on 10/18/2010 06:29:52 MDT Print View

The Z-rest was about 33% more comfortable to me than the standard thickness ridgerest. The egg crate bumps went flat really fast though. So for comfort for more than a couple of weeks of use, I'd go with the Ridgerest Solar since it's 1/8" thicker than the non Solar.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Z Lite on 10/18/2010 09:07:28 MDT Print View

I <3 my TAR Z Lite. Best CCF pad around. TAR RidgeRest close second.

Matthew Thomas
(caramelmarx) - F

Locale: Southern California
Z lite on 10/18/2010 09:20:42 MDT Print View

I would have to suggest the Z-lite. If your pack can work with it's awkward shape and lack of "burrito"- ness then it's really the king (it's also yellow, which represents it's royalty, gold). I thought alternating your sleeping habits was kind of unreasonable but if you think about it I guess it's not. I guess just in general we shouldn't adapt to our gear.

Happy Hiking

Jeffrey McConnell
z-lite flattening on 10/18/2010 12:37:45 MDT Print View

Will the z-lite really flatten out after only a couple weeks use? Im a lighter guy- around 150. Seems like a waste if it does.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
z-lite flattening on 10/18/2010 13:45:45 MDT Print View

I don't see you having a problem. I used mine on my AT thru and it is noticeably flatter now, but I still find it comfortable. And it definitely took longer than a few weeks for me. It was a pretty slow process over a 5 month period. I started my hike around 165 lbs and ended it around 145 just to give you a frame of reference.