Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Maybe FS: Titanium Cathole Trowel - 0.5 ounce
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Thanks! on 10/18/2010 15:18:36 MDT Print View

Got my signed, #1 trowel today via mail and it's as advertised. The real deal. I was envisioning a month or two from conception to completion but it was less than a week. Bravo.

Ed

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Just did it on 10/18/2010 15:19:14 MDT Print View

I just decided to spend my Sunday in the shop and get everyone's trowel made and mailed today. If you've paid me for one, it is on its way. Can you dig it? Now for a rest.

Cory Turner
(CoryTurner) - F

Locale: Northern California
hole in handle! on 10/20/2010 04:19:01 MDT Print View

That puts my sea2summit shovel to shame. Any chance you could drill a hole in the handle before you bend it? What thickness is it? Thanks, Cory

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
p00p soup on 10/21/2010 09:41:14 MDT Print View

Rob,
The trowel arrived yesterday, and looks great! Much lighter than my Montbell trowel. The weight saved isn't huge, but it's very cool!

The P00p Soup recipe looks great! I haven't "taste tested" it yet, but it makes sense, and will become a regular part of my backcountry practice, thanks! I think it will go nicely with Mike C's butt washing protocol!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Maybe FS: Titanium Cathole Trowel - 0.5 ounce on 10/21/2010 10:40:23 MDT Print View

Will this trowel do dual duty as a spoon?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
spoon? on 10/21/2010 11:25:48 MDT Print View

Joe says:
"Will this trowel do dual duty as a spoon?"

Only for p00p soup!

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
My SUL Ti Multi-tool on 10/21/2010 16:53:12 MDT Print View

I made this after being inspired by a post several years ago. It's modeled after the Mont-bell trowel.

I bent the Ti around a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, using pipe clamps. I had scribed the shape on the TI before bending. Then I used tin snips to cut it out and a new flat file to finish the edges. I used a Harbor Freight metal punch to punch the hole.

It weighs 0.39 ounces.

The multi-tool functions are: Shoe Horn, Spoon, and Potty Trowel.

SUL TI Multi-tool
MYOG SUL Ti Multi-tool

Edited by redleader on 10/21/2010 17:00:39 MDT.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Poop Soup on 10/21/2010 20:48:52 MDT Print View

Thanks Rob. Received the trowel today; I gave the envelope to my wife and told her to check out her early anniversary present. For once she was thrilled.

I'm pretty excited too... about to go dig a hole in the yard and make some soup.

- Jacob.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
in the queue on 10/21/2010 22:48:53 MDT Print View

Ordered one today.
thanks

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Back from the trail on 10/25/2010 20:43:14 MDT Print View

Got back from Mt Rogers area trails (AT, others, in SW Virginia) last night and checked the thread tonight. Thanks to all for good wishes and appreciative comments.

Answers and comments in no particular order . . .

Brent's trowel will go out tomorrow as I just finished making it.

Poup soup is a great Leave No Trace method; please pass it on (not the soup, the method).

If you really want to go light, you can use one of my trowels as a spoon before using for a cathole or after (if first dipped in your boiling water) and it will also work as shoehorn, back scratcher, hide scraper, tick remover, seep/spring deepener, bait cutter, fish scaler, and cheese slicer.

The handle hole: You can use a punch to make a hole, but you take a risk of cracking the handle (titanium is a bit on the brittle side) if you do, and shortening the life of your punch. Hence my decision not to make handle holes. Add at your own risk. I'm told you may be able to drill a hole with a Dremel tool, but I don't have a Dremel tool to test this.

Other handle options: I have ordered material and will test the idea of a rubberized handle coating, which Mr. Regulator put on his trowel and is very happy with the result.

And finally: I am planning to make and test a larger trowel for those who want to dig deeper and faster. Stay tuned.

Have not yet run out of titanium and am looking for more.