Forum Index » Gear Swap » Maybe FS: Titanium Cathole Trowel - 0.5 ounce

Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Maybe FS: Titanium Cathole Trowel - 0.5 ounce on 10/13/2010 11:31:48 MDT Print View

I have finally sourced a small sheet of the right gauge of titanium to make more of these. Very light, very strong even though flexible, cuts through small roots very easily, and weighs 75% less than the ubiquitous orange plastic trowels.

Having made two of these myself about a year ago (lost one, still have and use the other on all my trips), I'm very aware that it's a lot of trouble to make one yourself. Search out and read MYOG articles on this project for more description of what is involved - for example, my trowels will look very similar to what this thread illustrates:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=2508

So, I'm making a relatively small number for BPL'ers to help fund my gear habit. I'm posting this notice to sell a few and see what level of interest there might be.

I know that you don't really NEED one, but you know you WANT one! You could make your own, but what a lot of trouble that would be . . .

I will start with six of them at $27 each (SEE MY 10/14 POST - FUTURE PRICE WILL BE $28.50 DUE TO POSTAGE), PayPal Gift to me at robkelly54 at gmail dot com. First six to commit get these, and we'll see after that, depending on how my stamina and titanium supply hold out. PM me or email as above with questions.

UPDATE: TROWEL #1 IS IN THE MAIL !!! see pictures below:trowel1trowel2

Edited by QiWiz on 10/14/2010 08:22:32 MDT.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
First in line . Paypal Sent on 10/13/2010 11:47:59 MDT Print View

Send me one when you get them rolling out! Thanks

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Ed's first on 10/13/2010 12:12:17 MDT Print View

Thanks Ed - I'll get the production line up and running and let you know when it ships. Will also post a picture of the first trowel - a collector's item for sure. Maybe I should sign them. Can you dig it?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
I'm in! on 10/13/2010 12:16:24 MDT Print View

I'll get the Paypal thing in this afternoon!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

OK, they are going fast on 10/13/2010 12:43:00 MDT Print View

One sold and paid for.
Two payments pending.
Three still uncommitted.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
I'll take one on 10/13/2010 12:46:44 MDT Print View

One for me please!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Going, Going, not yet gone on 10/13/2010 13:17:43 MDT Print View

Three paid for
One payment pending
Two uncommitted

Snooze you lose, I guess

Joshua Gray
(coastalhiker) - MLife
Sounds great on 10/13/2010 14:31:50 MDT Print View

I'm in for one too!

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

The First on 10/13/2010 14:38:43 MDT Print View

As the first, I think you should not only sign them, by taking away material... such as not to add weight... but you should also serialize them . I'd like a six digit number such as.... #000001 . That way when you go ultra high end cottage international, I can command a premium.

Thanks. And could you also add some sort of hologram logo without adding to the weight?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: The First on 10/13/2010 14:43:38 MDT Print View

Real manufacturers seldom begin their product serial numbers with #000001, because it makes it look like the very first one off the manufacturing line (which can be a lemon). Many begin the serial numbers with #001001 or something like that. Others embed the factory date into the serial number, like #101013, or for multiple units on the same day, a sequence number is added to the date, like #10101301.

--B.G.--

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

B.G. on 10/13/2010 15:02:05 MDT Print View

Very good then, very good. Whichever. I'd not tell the artist how to create. lol. Bob, you are everywhere man! I think you're the silent moderator........ omnipresent......... I'll just be happy to have a .5 ounce pooper dooper catholer. Don't care what it looks like, or what its worth.... so long as it does its "doodie".

Ed

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

One left on 10/13/2010 15:35:36 MDT Print View

Five now spoken for and payments received - thanks
One "first edition" trowel left to be claimed

Now to get busy in the workshop. Guess "Maybe FS" was the wrong way to list this as they are nearly all ordered already.

BTW, It's very hard to work titanium. Hard stuff, really hard. Please do not expect serial numbers. ; )

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: One left on 10/13/2010 15:42:21 MDT Print View

Yes, titanium is really hard stuff unless you have the right tool.

One word: Dremel.

--B.G.--

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Me Too on 10/13/2010 19:16:03 MDT Print View

Put me down for the last one.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: One left on 10/13/2010 19:23:07 MDT Print View

Dremels are awesome for small tough jobs. Bought mine when I was 12 or so and, though rarely used, one of the best purchases I ever made.

Edited by upalachango on 10/13/2010 19:23:44 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Maybe FS: Titanium Cathole Trowel - 0.5 ounce on 10/13/2010 19:55:16 MDT Print View

Hi Robert

This URL may be of use as well:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_ti_trowel.html

Cheers

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE Titanium on 10/13/2010 23:06:24 MDT Print View

Put me down on the next order if there is one. Thanks Jack

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

First Edition batch closed out on 10/14/2010 08:12:16 MDT Print View

I have payments received for the first edition batch, which I hope to make this weekend and mail Monday.

Made the first one last night and it's on its way to Ed, who will receive a signed #1 trowel. I measured the weight more accurately and its actually a bit less than 0.4 oz (the scale vacillates between 0.35 and 0.40 oz) so even lighter than described. No one is likely to complain about that.

For those of you who are still interested and did not get in under the wire, you can either wait until I post again, which I will at some point in the future, or . . . If you are willing to wait (two or three weeks), go ahead and send me PayPal Gift payment of $28.50 and I'll put you in the queue for one after I make the first batch. Price has gone up because I've discovered that postage is more than I thought it would be (I found out when mailing Ed's trowel earlier today that I can't just put one in an envelope with a first class stamp even though the weight is OK; it's considered a "parcel" because the shape of the trowel means they can't put it through their automated machines at post office). If you make PayPal Gift payment, be sure to send me your address.

Note to Roger: I like your handle design for improved digging comfort, but your design is harder to make, uses more titanium, and adds a little weight too. So for now I'm going to stay with the design I've been using. It's about as small and light as possible while retaining function. Been using one myself for at least a month of trail days without any problems, bending, or breakage. In future, if someone wants a more padded handle to baby their hands, I'll consider adding an option to add a thin Leukotape edging to the handle. Will probably still weigh less than 0.5 oz.

Edited by QiWiz on 10/14/2010 08:32:43 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

List is forming for next batch on 10/15/2010 13:59:23 MDT Print View

Need to get some more gear, so have started to take orders for next batch of featherweight trowels, ETA to your door 3-4 weeks. If you make a $28.50 PayPal payment to robkelly54 at gmaiil dot com, I'll put you on the list.

Please: make a PayPal GIFT payment and in comments send me your address (address not automatically sent to me if a gift payment). Default featherweight trowel is "bare". If you want Leukotape handle edging, also indicate that in comments and I'll add it on.

Richard Malpass
(Earthling4469a) - M

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,
Trowel on 10/18/2010 14:27:16 MDT Print View

Wow thanks Rob!
2 Days youve made and got mine in the mail
All good