Forum Index » GEAR » Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Best 15-20 Degree bag for the Weight? WM UltraLite? Hummingbird? Others? on 10/15/2010 18:03:57 MDT Print View

"Yeah, there's the Versalite at a theoretical 10*F. However, note that the Versalite is 3 inches wider in girth with only 1 ounce more down than the Apache. I have some variation or another of nearly all of WMs bags at hand right now, and the Apache clearly lofts better than the Versalite."

I'll concede there, Brad. The Apache is a good bag.

Versatility wise, yeah, it's personal. Based on personal experience, I'll stick with my Ultralite over my former Apache. But, like you said. that is strictly personal preference. If I were anticipating temps below 10 degrees, I'd likely go back to an apache, though.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Montbell possibility on 10/15/2010 18:31:23 MDT Print View

Caveat: I'm new to this whole UL thing and my comparison breadth is low for bags due to my size.

I'm 6'6, 250 or so.

After using a Montbell SuperSpiral UL +1 (15deg, long) I don't know how anyone can sleep in anything else. Well, I suppose I could understand a quilt. :)

I came from a synthetic mummy which almost fit me and packs down smaller, but I'm in love with this thing.

The long version is 2lb, 7 oz. 11oz(!) heavier than the Ultralite2 long, 8 of which is fill. (22oz fill vs 14oz)

Now before you laugh me out of town all tarred and feathered...

The spirals are amazing. They really do work well.
It's got a water repellent coating.

It's only 12 denier vs 20, if you care.

It's a touch heavier but those spirals and extra fill weight ... for me it's a keeper. You might check out their other models which are rated warmer (lighter) or see if you can find someone near you who has one or someplace you can check it out.

If I don't sleep well I get grumpy, and it's 6'6 250lbs of grumpy, so I try to sleep well. :)

-mox

David S.
(six2) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: Montbell possibility on 10/16/2010 21:36:51 MDT Print View

I looked at the mont-bells, I know they have an excellent reputation for quality and being true to rated weight.

I think I'm growing more obsessed with cutting weight, so I'm probably going to go for a lighter bag. I don't think I need a full 15 -- I'm really looking functionally at more like a 25. I'll layer when it's colder, but my 30 just wasn't quite up to snuff.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Re: Montbell possibility on 10/18/2010 16:49:39 MDT Print View

"I don't think I need a full 15 -- I'm really looking functionally at more like a 25. I'll layer when it's colder, but my 30 just wasn't quite up to snuff."

Honestly, if a 30 didn't cut it a 25 won't. There's not that much functional/actual difference in bags with those ratings. I'm a cold sleeper and have used a Summerlite below freezing comfortably... w/adequate insulation underneath (ie a women's Trail Pro or Exped Downmat).

Point is, don't trick yourself into "making the 30 work" if your experience has already been that it doesn't.

Also note that WM is one of the few manufacturers who actually rate their bags accurately... in other words, other 30*F bags probably wouldn't keep you warm at those temps.

Keep toward the warmer 15/20 *F bags; the draft collar on the Ultralite is awesome, can help a lot.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
20 deg on 10/18/2010 17:37:51 MDT Print View

if you think youll hit 20 deg consistently ... use a 20 deg bag

the extra layers is insurance ... but they can get wet, you can easily get nights lower than the avg temp .. etc ...

also consider that youll lose some loft on long trips