Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Yosemite: Panorama Trail, October 8th – 10th, 2010.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Locale: SoCal
Yosemite: Panorama Trail, October 8th – 10th, 2010. on 10/12/2010 22:02:37 MDT Print View

My wife & I recently did a 3 day/3 night trip along the Panorama Trail in Yosemite. The goal of the trip was to give Candy a fun and easy introduction to backpacking. I have enjoyed backpacking solo or with various groups for many years, but lately I have been hoping she will join me for a 2 week JMT thru hike next summer. . . .

Trip description:

- 3 days, 3 nights out and back.
- Total mileage: ~21 miles
- Elevation from ~4,000’ to 8,842’.
- Mild weather mid 30’s to mid 70’s.
- Map used: National Geo Illustrated Topo / carried but not needed on well marked trails.

Day 0:

Arrive at Yosemite Valley at 10:00 pm. Camp at the ‘backpacker campground’ (~4,000’).
Mileage: 0

Day 1:

Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley via Panorama Trail.
Mileage: ~6.9 miles.

Day 2:

Little Yosemite Valley to Half Dome (8,842’) and back via a small portion of the JMT and the Half Dome Trail.
Mileage: ~7.2 miles.

Day 3:

Little Yosemite Valley to Glacier Point via Panorama Trail.
Mileage: ~6.9 miles.

backpacker campground

After arriving in the valley at 10:00 pm we had a little trouble finding the backpacker campground, so we just set up next to this table near Curry Village. It turns out we were right next to a range station. The ranger looked perplexed as he saw me getting out of the tent in the morning. He politely pointed out that we were not in the backpacker campground. He didn’t seem to mind that Candy slept in while I got the permits and coffee at the village.

packs

We used Gossamer Gear packs, a Gorilla and Murmur. Candy’s pack weighed in at 7.5 lbs and with the exception of some water along the trail her pack weight stayed the same the whole trip. She carried an REI Sub Kilo 15 degree down sleeping bag, silk long underwear, Patagonia mid-weight long sleeve capilene, EB downlight jacket, an REI rain/wind shell and Smartwool sleep socks (I would be sweating in all of that).

I started out carrying 20.5 lbs on the first day which included a double wall tent (the ‘Condo’, . . . had to leave the Hexamid at home), Neo-Air sleeping pads, MB super spiral down #3, cook-set and 7.5 lbs of food and fuel for three days. For warmth I used a polartec long sleeve top and long john bottom for a base layer, MB ex light down jacket, a TNF triumph anorak rain/wind shell and silk sock liners for sleep socks. I brought a few luxury items like two Therm-a-rest camp chairs (to use with the Neo-Air pads) and several micro LED’s for our ultralight ‘chandelier’. We never used the camp chairs.

Candy likes the double wall 2 door/2 vestibule Big Sky tent. I found one at a small shop in Colorado earlier this summer so there was no problem with the extended wait times I’ve heard about. The 2 door/2 vestibule setup is great but the GG Squall Classic at the half the weight is hard to beat.

candy at glacier point

Starting out at Glacier Point on day 1.

candy on panorama trail

Along the Panorama Trail.

view on panorama trail

View from the Panorama Trail. Half Dome, Grizzly Peak, Mt. Broderick, Liberty Cap, Vernal & Nevada Falls.

grand staircase

View of the Grand Staircase from the Panorama Trail.

nevada falls

Liberty Cap, Nevada Falls & Little Yosemite Valley in the background.

candy in camp

Finishing some coffee at our camp in Little Yosemite Valley before heading out to Half Dome on day 2.

serene trail

A serene trail to Half Dome.

drill holes

Drill holes from where explosives were used to split rocks along the trail.

bmi

We passed this exhausted looking group on the way to Half Dome. Are those ultra-heavy walking sticks? . . . thanks to BPL for helping us keep a low BMI (Backpack Mass Index).

stairs

Granite stairs on the way to Half Dome.

cables

Climbing the cables up the last 400 feet to the top.

diving board

Finally on top, the Diving Board.

tenaya canyon

The view of Watkins Pinnacles, Tenaya Canyon, Clouds Rest, and the side of Half Dome from the Diving Board.

watkins pinnacles

The North Rim from Half Dome.

snowcreek

The switchbacks up to the Snow Creek Falls area are visible in the lower middle of this pic. Thanks Dylan Snodgrass for your trip report about the beautiful campsite in that area (next on our list).

dark trail

Getting dark on the way back to Little Yosemite Valley.

nevada bridge

On the way home on day 3: the bridge over Nevada Falls with the Liberty Cap in the background.

nevada falls

Nevada Falls.

pano trail home

Along the Panorama Trail on the hike out.

half dome from panorama trail

The back of Half Dome from the Panorama Trail.

pano

A panorama of the Panorama Trail.

green pool

Pools nearby Illilouette Falls.

illilouette bridge

On the bridge over Illilouette Falls.

upper falls

Upper Illilouette Falls.

tree

Along the Panorama Trail on the hike out.

yo valley

Great view from Glacier Point.

candrew

After finishing the trip Candy mentioned on the ride home, “I would love to do a two week trip like that in the Sierra’s”. Mission accomplished.

Edited by bluewater on 10/12/2010 22:28:35 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Yosemite: Panorama Trail, October 8th – 10th, 2010. on 10/12/2010 22:43:35 MDT Print View

Hey where are all the people?!?

Lovely trip Andrew and wow, did you ever hit the nice fall weather! Thanks for posting your report and pics.

Cheers,

Rick

Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Re: Yosemite: Panorama Trail, October 8th – 10th, 2010 on 10/14/2010 01:23:56 MDT Print View

Thanks Rick. We were grateful to catch a window of good weather, and very few other people around. . . it was like an empty natural theme park.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Mission accomplished on 10/18/2010 16:06:53 MDT Print View

I had a similar experience this summer. My son and took my wife and 2 daughters along this time on our trip. My wife was blown away by the scenery up to the Kaweah Gap and also at the difficulty of Sierra miles. I think she will go for the whole trip next time.

Yes, mission accomplished.

Nice report. A lot different than the last time I was on the cables with lines in both directions.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Mission accomplished on 10/20/2010 03:21:02 MDT Print View

Thanx for your comments Scott. What a blessing to have a family of five on the trail with you in the Sierra's. We can't wait till next summer. . Andrew.