(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
REI Sale 20% Off on 10/12/2010 11:15:52 MDT Print View

rei

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: REI Sale 20% Off on 10/12/2010 11:23:32 MDT Print View

But what does an aspiring ULer use it on? That's always my dilemma with REI coupons. I'm thinking of maybe getting the Ibex Indie Hoodie, Granite Gear Vapor Ki or Neo Air for my wife. Is it part of their extremely lax return policy that they don't carry lightweight and therefore somewhat fragile gear? If only REI carried Montbell jackets.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
neo air at REI on 10/12/2010 11:30:11 MDT Print View

n/m

Edited by Gabe on 10/12/2010 11:30:47 MDT.

Pieter Kaufman
(Pieter) - F
Re: Re: REI Sale 20% Off on 10/12/2010 12:05:28 MDT Print View

The way I look at it, REI might not always have a lot in the way of clothing or shelter or sleeping gear ULers might want, but there are still an awful lot of things that are useful and/or you might want.

As for big ticket items that really put the coupons to work, if you use these kinds of things, then GPS, or a SPOT, or PLB, or a knife (they stock the really fine Benchmade 530 folder), or a good pair of sunglasses all make good candidates for 20% off purchases.

Or, if you start doing more winter backcountry travel or mountaineering, the list increases dramatically (i.e., avalanche safety/rescue gear, climbing hardware, axes, pickets, helmets, harnesses, etc.).

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: Re: REI Sale 20% Off on 10/12/2010 12:09:42 MDT Print View

I've thought about getting a Spot or PLB as I'm thinking of starting to do some solo trips, but alas the 20% member coupon doesn't apply to such things. The sunglasses are a good idea though.

Pieter Kaufman
(Pieter) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: REI Sale 20% Off on 10/12/2010 12:29:12 MDT Print View

Oops. Good catch on the GPS gear exclusion. I didn't see that.

Oh well. No discount PLB for me!

On the other hand, I really should get an avalanche transceiver, and the coupon DOES apply to the Mammut Barryvox, which is a pricey $450.

Brian Hall
(brian2o0o) - F
20% on 10/14/2010 04:37:55 MDT Print View

I used mine to get a pair of mountain hardwear trail running gaiters and saved a whole $7 and some change haha. Once you get to a certain point, theres not much that rei has for the UL category.

Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
what to get at REI on 10/15/2010 03:05:46 MDT Print View

I'm hardcore UL and still buy stuff at REI:

- emergency blankets
- Darn Tough socks
- Platypus reservoirs with nozzle
- whistles w/ thermometer and compass
- CAMP Corsa UL ice axe
- drybags
- cycling gloves
- titanium or lexan cookware
- Victorinox Classic knife with pen

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
what I purchased on 10/15/2010 05:54:22 MDT Print View

A pair of microspikes. Last year I purchased a Event rain jacket.

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
i got... on 10/15/2010 09:36:12 MDT Print View

I got a Z-lite on sale yesterday for 20 bucks. Can't wait to try it out!

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
REI on 10/15/2010 12:15:28 MDT Print View

I used it to get a set of BD trekking poles for $18 off. Haven't used poles before so I didn't want to spend big bucks on GG poles until I see if I like them.

John Roan
(JRoan) - MLife

Locale: Vegas
Re: Re: REI Sale 20% Off on 10/15/2010 14:56:45 MDT Print View

It's hard to find real ultralight stuff at REI, that's for sure...I always go for another pair of ExOfficio boxer briefs. They're not just for hiking any more, but at $25 a pair...you need a sale!

I also found my (now discontinued) Marmot Essence Rain Jacket on close-out there earlier this year.

I think you just have to look hard and be patient.