Forum Index » Chaff » Backpacker Article

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Backpacker Article on 10/10/2010 19:19:34 MDT Print View

So I was in the bathroom taking care of business, and I was reading last months Backpacker magazine. One of the survival skills that was written was how to cross a snow or iced over trail. The article stated that one way to gain traction was to insert screws into you shoes....Really????? How many of us carry screws in our kit???? That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read in that magazine. In fact, sometimes I question why I read it at all.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Backpacker Article - Shoe Screws on 10/10/2010 19:23:27 MDT Print View

screwshoes2

Might seem like a dumb idea. But it isn't new.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Backpacker Article - Shoe Screws on 10/10/2010 19:39:33 MDT Print View

No no no Greg, the idea is sound. But I just can't imagine someone carry screws to insert them on the trail to use. The article was on survival skills.

I have done a lot of snow travel while backpacking, and between my poles, and kick stepping I manage fine. Also, if things are icy then I would wait for the sun to soften the ice or snow. Just thought that carrying screws in you pack and ruining your shoes was a tad overkill

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Backpacker Article - Shoe Screws on 10/10/2010 20:20:55 MDT Print View

Ahhhh.

Yes, a quite foolish suggestion in that scenario.

Talk about packing stuff "just in case"...
Screws, awl, nut driver, ....
Med kit for when you stab yourself in the leg...

The survival skill for that writer would be "stay home".

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Backpacker Article on 10/10/2010 21:26:23 MDT Print View

Except for if it was based on old school waffle stompers this method was considered normal back then. The tread was much different than modern shoes.

It does work. Is this tip in the newest issue that is all stuff from past issues? Think about it....20-30 years ago we didn't have Kathoola Microspikes to slap on. Nope, you had screws.

Which ironically do weigh less to carry than crampons do.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Backpacker Article on 10/10/2010 21:38:24 MDT Print View

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Backpacker Article" on 10/10/2010 23:15:26 MDT Print View

Yes, the article is pretty out of touch. In a "survival" situation, the last thing you're going to have is 2 or 3 dozen self tapping screws to drive into your trail runners for traction. I suppose the article also assumes you have a heavy Leatherman to drive in those screws too correct? :) Lot's of trailrunners do the shoe screw thing for winter running and icy races, La Sportiva sells some fancy ones called Hobnails, but 1/4 self tappers suffice. I forgot Backpacker Magazine existed, thanks for reminding me what I've been missing.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Backpacker Article on 10/11/2010 18:39:05 MDT Print View

Assumption is that you salvage the screws from the aircraft wreckage

Or maybe what they really are saying about the situation is "you're screwed"

Who knows? But they sell a lot of magazines.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Backpacker Article on 10/11/2010 18:55:58 MDT Print View

LOL!