Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cook/Eat System
Display Avatars Sort By:
Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Caledra Ti-Tri on 10/14/2010 09:19:50 MDT Print View

I really baby my stuff too. Even my MSR dragonfly's and MSR flex3 sets get kept in their boxes while I'm camping. I like to make my gear last as long as possible and keep it in the best condition I know how. Soot from wood burning is only a residue though and should scrub off after a trip so I'm not too bothered by it.
We will always have plenty of time around the camp to get a little fire going and to take our time cooking and relaxing.
I really like the idea of only carrying a bit of alcohol as backup or just using it as an alcy stove during wet weather.
I'm far from proficient at lighting a fire suitable for cooking over but I love to learn new skills and think that I'd really enjoy the fact that it extracts you just that little bit extra from our modern lifestyles.

Edit:
I was just reading through this thread:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38016

It seems that that the inferno is quite flawed?
Does anyone have any info on the regular ti-tri & inferno vs the sidewinder & inferno?

Edited by benen on 10/14/2010 09:39:38 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Caledra Ti-Tri on 10/14/2010 09:39:36 MDT Print View

Re: your Inferno question, no, it is not flawed. The thread you referenced was on a one-off experimental-ish thing.

I own an Inferno and love it. It's by far the most effective and versatile wood burner I've used. Ti-Tri is absolutely my go-to, & the Inferno just makes it that much better.

Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Sidewinder or Regular on 10/14/2010 09:47:30 MDT Print View

Do you have the Sidewinder or the regular Ti-Tri.
The fact that the sidewinder or ulc options fit into the evernew 1.3L pot make it sound that much better again!

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Inferno on 10/14/2010 09:47:54 MDT Print View

He wants to use it without the Cone. I guess so he can save 2 oz. The complete system can do all that. It's great when used as designed. I don't think I have any pictures of mine in wood burning mode. In regular mode it's not too exiting to look at as the pot sits down in the Cone. Here's one where I'm having a fire after cooking dinner burning wood. I'll get in a free plug for the Slinglight at the same time. :)

CC

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Sidewinder or Regular on 10/14/2010 10:20:52 MDT Print View

I use a sidewinder inferno with my 0.9 l evernew pot and in my view there is nothing better. I would love to use it in the high country in Victoria as there is no doubt that dry snowgum would be ideal, however, here in Scandinavia it also works. I have used Esbit and Metho with the stove and they are equal in terms of boil times but Esbit is pre measured. I wrote a little bit a while ago on the sidewinder here. Evernew 0.9l sidewinder

Also see my later post in which I used it on the trail.

Edited by rogerb on 10/14/2010 10:21:55 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Sidewinder or Regular on 10/14/2010 10:26:50 MDT Print View

I use the regular; half of a cut-off Gatorade-ish bottle is under an ounce and works great for holding it all together. My mug caps off the top.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Sidewinder on 10/14/2010 10:39:55 MDT Print View

Thanks Roger. The Sidewinder wasn't available when I bought mine. I have the full sized and am very happy with it but am thinking about switching to a Sidewinder in the future. I currently use the caddy that comes with it. It is 2.5 oz but I use the top as my mug so it's not that bad. But I wouldn't mind having the pack space back.

Benen, You can PM Rand (He posted on page 2 of this thread) for specifics about the different systems. He's the man behind Trail Designs.

Edited by rlnunix on 10/14/2010 10:40:42 MDT.

Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Thanks very much. on 10/14/2010 10:49:29 MDT Print View

The Sidewinder it is. All I can find about these products is good feedback so I am sure that I'll be very happy with it! Thank you all very much for your help as always! This is by far my favourite forum to visit. It is so active and full of members keen to help each other out.

Take care
Benen