Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing on 10/08/2010 00:09:25 MDT Print View

It's been a busy summer with not much time to post trip reports. I thought I'd try to get some pictures up of last weekend in Lost Creek Wilderness here in CO at least. My wife and I dropped the kids off at Grandma and Grandpa's Friday morning and had some fun. We started at Wigwam Trail head and did a loop through Lost Park, over Bison pass, down Refrigerator Gultch and back up Goose creek (about 31 miles total). My head was swimming on the drive home Sunday from the beauty. Simply breathtaking!

LC Fall 01

LC Fall 02

LC Fall 03

LC Fall 04

LC Fall 05

LC Fall 06

LC Fall 07

LC Fall 08

LC Fall 10

LC Fall 11

LC Fall 12

LC Fall 13

LC Fall 14

LC Fall 15

LC Fall 16

LC Fall 17

LC Fall 18

LC Fall 19

LC Fall 20

LC Fall 21

LC Fall 22

LC Fall 23

LC Fall 24

LC Fall 25

LC Fall 25

cw

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing on 10/08/2010 07:02:28 MDT Print View

Great pictures Christopher. Beautiful part of the country. Looks like you had a great trip.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing on 10/10/2010 22:37:49 MDT Print View

Thanks Philip. The trip was fantastic. It didn't hurt that the weather was gorgeous for this time of year.

cw

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
LCW on 10/11/2010 15:33:46 MDT Print View

Nice. I was there as well. Had to work until noon on Friday and be back to unload hay on Sunday morning, so we (my dog and I) just went up Wigwam until dusk and camped out, then returned in the morning. The weather was indeed beautiful. We did the Goose Creek -> McCurdy -> Lake Park -> Hankins trail the weekend before. Great place. Did you see all the trout in Wigwam Creek and the beaver ponds? I really need to get a Tenkara rod.

How was water availability around Bison Peak? I was originally going to go up there for the night from the Lost Park TH but thought I might have to haul water a long ways for camp.

Is that a Double Rainbow in the pic?

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: LCW on 10/21/2010 15:47:33 MDT Print View

Sorry for the delay Randy. Been pretty crazy at work lately. We left Wigwam TH around noon on Friday so we just missed you. I did that same loop as you from Goose Creek last fall. Refrigerator Gulch (or the Icebox as my brother and I dubbed it) and Hankins pass were definitely the highlights. That trip sold me on Lost creek.

We did see the trout. There were alot of them through Lost Park as well. We camped the first night close to where you start ascending Bison. Water was decently available but you'd be hauling it up a few miles if you were camping near the peak. Our original goal was to camp up on Bison that first night but we ran out of daylight.

Good eye! That is a Double Rainbow at our 2nd night's camp down in Refigerator Gulch. I decided to scramble up some of the granite above our camp before dinner for some awesome views.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing on 10/24/2010 18:22:16 MDT Print View

I really enjoyed the photos of the rock formations, with their color and texture. Seems like a pretty nice spot.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Re: Re: Lost Creek Ch-Ch-Changing on 10/26/2010 15:31:55 MDT Print View

Tom,
One of my favorite things about LCW is all of the granite. I only posted a small sampling of all the cool rock formations in the wilderness. It's really awe inspiring standing on or next to some of these enormous rocks.