Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hammocks and dogs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Hammocks and dogs on 10/07/2010 14:31:46 MDT Print View

I asked this in the gear deals thread under the hennessey hammocks posting, but figured I might get a better response here.

What do those of you that hike with dogs and sleep in hammocks do with your dog?

Mine is 60lbs and too big to sleep in the hammock with me. I'm figuring the rain tarp would be enough to cover him lying on the floor and I could bring a small tarp or similar. But I wanted to see what others already do.

thanks!!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Hammocks and dogs on 10/07/2010 15:18:18 MDT Print View

That's why I don't use a hammock. I consider my dog (all 80 lbs. of him) as part of my sleep system--he keeps my feet warm!

One of my friends hammocks with his dog; the dog sleeps on a CCF pad directly under his owner. Unfortunately that doesn't keep the bugs off the dog. Recently, within the last couple of months, someone here had a pic of a dog netting tent he made to keep his dog bug-free under his hammock. I couldn't find it on a search, though.

EDIT, later: I found it! It's on this thread about dog beds:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=36583

Page down to the post by Steve Madsen. Very clever design, IMHO!

Edited by hikinggranny on 10/07/2010 15:59:43 MDT.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

thanks on 10/07/2010 16:30:08 MDT Print View

my dog doesn't seem to mind the bugs, so he may not need a net, I'm just more worried about rain/snow fall.

I'm also thinking when we go just the two of us I can have him take my sleeping pad to sleep on since I'll be in the hammock.

Paul Gibson
(pgibson) - F

Locale: SW Idaho
Re: Hammocks and dogs on 10/07/2010 18:24:18 MDT Print View

Steve, lots of folks hang with there dogs. Most just get them set up with a small pad to lay on next to or below their hammock under the same tarp. There is at least one guy that I know of that has set up a small hammock that hangs next to his for his dog to sleep in. And kind of on that line, I saw a thread last week by some folks that made a small hammock for their cat to nap in. :)

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Doggone Hammockers! on 10/19/2010 21:01:41 MDT Print View

Dog Hammocking

I just use my poncho for my dog to sleep on when i hammock. It does triple duty as a poncho, ground cloth and emergency tarp if needed. It's nice to have a clean spot under my hammock for him and my stuff. A cut down foam pad and custom synthetic quilt for him and he's good to go all night...right below me. In winter i have a much larger tarp with more coverage. YMMV.

Best Friends

BF

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/20/2010 00:05:14 MDT.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Dogs in Hammocks on 10/21/2010 07:31:03 MDT Print View

Dogs under 35-40 lbs easily go in the foot end of the JRB BMBH... Since it is truly flat the stay there and not slide into you all night... Smee uses a sniveller style quilt on top and Bonnie, his springer spaniel, puts her head out the head hole...

Only issue is the days the dog is wet... Carry a towel?

Pan

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Re: Doggone Hammockers! on 10/21/2010 08:24:03 MDT Print View

Matt, thanks for the pics!

I've got a small pad for him to sleep on, now I just need to teach him how to sleep in a quilt/blanket setup to keep warm...

Mine's too big @ 60lbs to sleep in the hammock with me.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Claws on 10/21/2010 09:43:54 MDT Print View

Any concern or problem with the dog's claws and the light nylon fabric of the hammock under pressure?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Doggone Hammockers! on 10/21/2010 11:47:37 MDT Print View

is that the big red bigfoot quilt rigged as an UQ? That was one of the first quilts i ever made specifically to sell. I'd say in the first 10 or even less.

-Tim

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Bigfoot under quilt! on 10/21/2010 19:43:23 MDT Print View

"is that the big red bigfoot quilt rigged as an UQ? That was one of the first quilts i ever made specifically to sell. I'd say in the first 10 or even less.

-Tim"

Sure is, Tim!
The BIGFOOT Quilt--it's a hammock top quilt, hammock under quilt, two person ground quilt, one person ground quilt, signal flag...it does EVERYTHING! I am going to start producing this quilt design, along with my dog quilt design soon. I will be partnering with a small cottage gear maker (who is getting a VERY good rep here on BPL, by the way)to get them up for sale soon(please keep mum on my dog quilt design and why it's so unique). They have been extensively tested and are really performing awesome!

BF

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/21/2010 19:45:38 MDT.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

dog quilt on 10/21/2010 20:29:58 MDT Print View

if you need any more "beta" testers for that dog quilt I have a best friend that would love to try it out ;-)

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Dog Quilt. on 10/22/2010 00:40:47 MDT Print View

I would, Steven, but as of right now it's the only one of it's kind. Soon...very soon.

BF

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Hammock on 10/31/2010 12:09:32 MDT Print View

Forgot to mention that the hammock in the pic is a Ticket To The Moon Double with a custom Warbonnet-style foot box. Super big and comfy and a very easy mod!

BF

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/31/2010 12:10:05 MDT.

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Iron River, WI
Utilikilt on 10/31/2010 13:37:28 MDT Print View

Matthew, that's awesome you're backpacking in a Utilikilt.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

well I got my Hennessy Hyperlite on 10/31/2010 17:59:59 MDT Print View

can't wait to use it, and I'll have to figure out how the pooch will sleep with me...