Forum Index » Photography » Minox GT battery?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
Minox GT battery? on 08/11/2006 20:53:18 MDT Print View

Because I'm stuck in the dark ages and want to shoot slides, I recently bought a Minox GT not realizing the 5.6 v battery was no longer available. It is said that I can use a 6 v, but has anyone done this and if so do you suggest I compensate for underexposure with asa settings and if so, how many stops?

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Minox GT battery? on 08/11/2006 22:22:22 MDT Print View

Linsey,
I own a Minox MB (very similar to the GT) that I've had for ages and the first thing I did was replace the stock battery with a 6.0 volt one. No problems at all. I just checked mine (have not used it in a few years since switching to digital) and it looks I have a 6 volt lithium in it now.

By the way, these are great cameras, I used to shoot kodachrome 64 in mine (I wonder if Kodachrome is still even around) and took great pictures. That camera really has a good lens.

Dan

Dan

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Re: Kodachrome on 08/12/2006 02:22:43 MDT Print View

Dear Dan, Recently I was shocked to learn that indeed Kodachrome is still available! There is one place in the whole country that still processes it (in Texas, I think). Freestyle Photographic Supplies (www.freestylephoto.biz (800)292-6137) has the slide film. I believe they also sell the pre-paid processing mailers as does Glaziers Photographic in Seattle. By all means have them send you a catalog as it is full of goodies. I'm glad to hear some approval for the sub 6 ounce Minox. For my upcoming PCT section hike, I am also going to take my (just over 5 ounce) Holga-a super light, somewhat unpredictable plastic medium format camera that gets some respect in the world of fine art photography. Thank you for the battery info. I know very little about this tiny quazi-spy camera save that it was featured in Playboy with all the other high tech toys of 1985.

Neil Johnstone
(nsjohnstone) - MLife
Minox GT battery. on 08/12/2006 03:57:02 MDT Print View

Minox make an adaptor (Part No. 69106) for the GT, which takes LR44 or CR 1/3N batteries, with the exposure meter then working properly.

The only problem now is how to fly with film.......

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

minox adapter on 08/12/2006 05:45:06 MDT Print View

Dear Neil, Thank you for the tip. An adapter is my ideal solution. As every site that deals with these is "temporarily out of stock", I'll get some 6 volts and cross my fingers the 69106 will be obtainable soon.

Edited by lollygag on 08/12/2006 05:45:36 MDT.