Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best Free Stuff?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Best Free Stuff? on 10/05/2010 21:20:13 MDT Print View

Ok, I have a few sources for condiments and goodies now that I have some more trips under my belt. So what are the places you hit up for stuff? For me it's:
Taco Bell - Sauce packets / sporks
Subway - Olive Oil packets / Mustard

What are some other places with good stuff?

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Best Free Stuff on 10/05/2010 22:06:37 MDT Print View

I get my butter packets from KFC, sauerkraut and parmesan packets from Sam's Club deli.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 10/06/2010 08:56:59 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Best Free Stuff?" on 10/06/2010 07:59:46 MDT Print View

If heading into the Gila Wilderness, it's customary for me to stop at the McDonalds in Silver City, NM and grab a coffee since it's the only place open early... I steal some sugars to go.

Jarod Fleming
(flemdawg1) - F

Locale: SE US
More Condimaents on 10/06/2010 08:22:54 MDT Print View

Chic-filet: salsa, hot sauce, honey, jelly

hotels: small inroom coffee packs (use like a tea bag)

The Cossack
(thecossack) - F

Locale: sedona
arby's on 10/06/2010 13:53:03 MDT Print View

arby's for barbeque sauce and horseradish sauce

marvick gas stations for cholula packets
and 59 cent ice cream cones

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Aha... on 10/06/2010 18:08:02 MDT Print View

Oooo, butter packets.... mmmmmm

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Free Stuff on 10/06/2010 18:23:31 MDT Print View

For most sauces (mayo, salsa, ketchup) I go with McDonalds since they're everywhere.

When I forget TP and remember on the way to the trail, any large fast food chain will do. Actually, the stuff they use in those huge rolls is super thin and I bet it weighs a lot less per yard then the stuff you probably use from home. It seems a bit hard on the underside to use regularly but who knows. If you snatched one of those big rolls and took it home, you'd have a lifetime supply of ultralight toilet paper. Actually, on my first backpacking trip ever (probably 10-12 year ago) I forgot TP so I clipped one of those huge rolls to the outside of my pack. It was probably 5 lbs of TP (take that Mike C!). I balanced it out with a huge bundle of banana's clipped to the other side.

For cutlery the cheap plastic fast food stuff works in a pinch, but it's a gamble on a longer trip since you'll likely break it. McD's McFlurry spoons or Dairy Queen spoons are your best best for lightweight and durable.

White Spot here in Western Canada has amazing take home containers for your leftover food. They are quality, lightweight plastic containers that can easily be used as a bowl/mug. Just be sure to ask that they cram your leftovers into a small one....or just leave 2 fries on your plate and ask that they pack that up :)

Edited by dandydan on 10/06/2010 18:24:18 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: "Best Free Stuff?" on 10/06/2010 18:37:04 MDT Print View

"I steal some sugars to go."

Appropriate (verb) is a much nicer word, don't you think? ;-)

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Indeed on 10/06/2010 18:57:21 MDT Print View

I'm also partial to "liberate" or "acquire" . The liberate leads one to believe that the sugars were opressed and didn't really want to be there.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: "Best Free Stuff?" on 10/06/2010 23:40:17 MDT Print View

One simply _snags_ some free packets.

--B.G.--

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Acquire on 10/07/2010 00:28:14 MDT Print View

I like the ambiguity of 'acquire'. It leaves others guessing whether you appropriated, stole or liberated the sugar.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Best Free Stuff? on 10/07/2010 01:41:48 MDT Print View

Funny thread. In the Marines, it is referred to as STEAL. Strategic Transport of Equipment to Alternate Locations.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Panera Bread for condiments on 10/07/2010 12:23:05 MDT Print View

Panera Bread has Hellman's Mayo and Golden's spicy mustard packets. They have other brand name condiments which taste way better, in my opinion.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
ethics on 10/08/2010 19:11:55 MDT Print View

okay... maybe I am a bit over the top... but stealing is still stealing no matter what ambiguous name you put on it. People complain about prices being high and such yet have no problem pilfering that for which they didn't pay. Why not just use minimus.biz?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: ethics on 10/08/2010 19:23:12 MDT Print View

Let's analyze this. If I walk into McDonalds, buy a cup of coffee, then walk over to their condiments counter and take a packet of sugar for the coffee, there is no problem. Right?

Now, if I walk in, buy the same cup of coffee, then take 250 packets of sugar for the coffee, that is probably wrong.

What is ethical and what is not?

--B.G.--

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
red pepper flakes on 10/08/2010 19:58:29 MDT Print View

I believe Panda Express has little packets of red pepper flakes. Mickey Dee's strawberry jam packs have found their wayinto my pack.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: ethics@Bob on 10/08/2010 20:07:20 MDT Print View

"What is ethical and what is not?"

Seems fairly simple to me; if you take more than you use in that cup of coffee it's technically unethical. Not to say I have always been a paragon of virtue, but I like to think that as we age we evolve in the direction of being more ethical, just as we evolve in the direction of pounding a few less beers than we did in our youth. Another way to look at it: If too many people abuse the privilege of taking as much as they want from the condiment stand, MacDonalds will eventually move the condiments behind the counter and distribute them in a controlled manner. Then we will have lost another little bit of our freedom for lack of ability to exercise our freedom with restraint. :(

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: ethics on 10/08/2010 20:47:43 MDT Print View

Where does one draw the line? There is no magic line that always delineates clearly between innocence and guilt. Ethics and judgment go hand in hand.

My own guideline? Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done unto you. In this case, if I own a small diner or fast food restaurant... would I care if my patrons take a few extra packets of sugar with them? Meh. But I would want them to be reasonable and considerate.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: ethics on 10/08/2010 20:51:26 MDT Print View

So, Benjamin, if you were the restaurant owner, you wouldn't care if your coffee customer grabbed two or three packets of sugar. How about five or ten? But, surely not 250 packets.

Where do you draw the line?

If it is a repeat customer, you allow so many, but if it is a first-timer, you allow less?

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: ethics on 10/08/2010 21:04:44 MDT Print View

Bob -- as a restaurant owner, I wouldn't care at all if my patrons snag a few extra packets of sugar.

As stated above, there is no line. Just exercise consideration and good judgment. Hey, we're all adults, right?

Edited by ben2world on 10/08/2010 21:20:20 MDT.