Winter Gear List (Smokies, 8-10 day trip)
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Wozniak
(woz9683) - F

Locale: Southeast
Smokies Gear on 10/05/2010 21:06:19 MDT Print View

That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about having a spot to air the bag out on the second half of the trip, even if the weather's not cooperating.

I had thought about dropping a cache, and for some reason I was thinking 20-mile, which would be kind of out of the way. But at the dam, I can basically just drive right up to the BMT-AT intersection? If the worst happened and it was gone, at least I'd be in a relatively populated area. Shouldn't be too hard to catch a ride from there. A metal paint can, I suppose?

What socks? Just glanced at a couple and only saw a weight on some patagonia's. Almost a pound!?

Yeah, I guess the poncho would be lighter, multi-purpose, and probably cover the pack better too (covering the vulnerable part between me and the pack).

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
socks on 10/06/2010 05:28:15 MDT Print View

"What socks? Just glanced at a couple and only saw a weight on some patagonia's. Almost a pound!?"

Like these being discussed at this time on the forum

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37723

John Wozniak
(woz9683) - F

Smokies Gear List on 10/08/2010 08:53:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Alex, I was following that one. I think I like the idea of the MYOG wader actually. I'm going to see if I can put together something similar for use on this trip.

I made a bunch of changes to my gear list and posted it. The alcohol stove and aquamira came in, so I made those changes. Rebottled the aquamira and the tooth powder. Went for a razor blade instead of knife. I fixed the sleeping bag weight by removing the second draft collar. I added another category to my list for a weight cached. I'll plan on leaving a drop around Fontana. I don't know exactly how much I'll be able to stuff in a paint can, so some of the stuff listed there is excessive, but it's irrelevant because I'll just be exchanging items, not adding on to my base weight. I also separated out the camera and gps since they're luxury items. I thought it organized things a little better. I'm still trying to decide on the pack cover. I may still replace it for something lighter like a poncho. The FF jacket is on the way, they had it in stock so I should have it next week. And I'm going to pick up a couple of platypus bladders too.

How do you store a caldera cone? The edges are pretty sharp so I don't want to just toss it in the pack, but the sleeve they include is heavy so I don't want to use that either. I was thinking I could sand the edges enough that I can just slide it into my food bag without ripping the bag. Or maybe some lightweight end caps instead of the whole sleeve?

Weird, but when I pull up the gear list from a certain computer it still shows the old one. Can someone verify it's different? The new one should have 3 weight categories, since I added the "Cached" list.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
storing cone on 10/08/2010 09:30:45 MDT Print View

Store it inside a dry sock

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: storing cone on 10/08/2010 09:32:18 MDT Print View

Just get the Trail Designs Sidewinder and it fits nicely INSIDE the cup along with everything else.

John Wozniak
(woz9683) - F

Smokies Gear on 10/08/2010 14:26:38 MDT Print View

The sock might work, I guess it won't tear up the wool too fast.

The sidewinder design seems less efficient to me. The sides of the pot are more exposed. Especially in cold weather where the temp. differential is pretty extreme I'd think the boiling time would increase.

Anyway, I've already got the standard cone with a tall pot. I guess I could modify this one to be the best of both worlds. Split the cone around the middle and then make a couple tabs so the top half could sit on the bottom half. The two halves would easily be short enough to fit inside the pot, and when assembled the whole pot would still fit inside the cone.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Smokies Gear on 10/08/2010 14:57:14 MDT Print View

I cut a Gatorade bottle off and used it in conjunction with my cookpot to keep the Caldera Cone safe. That has worked for me for over a year with the cone still in great shape.

Edited by Mocs123 on 10/08/2010 15:02:31 MDT.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Smokies Gear on 10/08/2010 15:04:23 MDT Print View

CCone
CCone2

Edited by Mocs123 on 10/08/2010 15:05:15 MDT.

John Wozniak
(woz9683) - F

Smokies Gear on 10/09/2010 10:34:05 MDT Print View

That looks pretty good. I just checked doing that same thing with just the bottom half of the sleeve they sent with the cone. It actually slides into the pot perfectly. A little heavier (1.4oz) than the gatorade bottle, but I think I can trim it up a little bit. I'll try and take some pictures later. It fits the whole system too, stove, 8oz fuel bottle, cone, etc.

I chilled 2 cups of water to about 40F, and boiled it with 22mL of everclear. (happened to have some laying around ;)) Seems pretty good to me.