Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
tactile drawcord ID
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
tactile drawcord ID on 10/01/2010 23:24:16 MDT Print View

I just replaced the flat "chin cord" of my WM sleeping bag with a round paracord so I could tell the chin cord from the head cord in the dark.

I began by retracting as much of the flat chin cord as possible and sewing/wrapping/sewing the narrow paracord to it for about 1/2". Then I cut the remaining flat cord off and ran the (narrow) paracord through the plastic cord-loc & tied it off to the head cord.

I'm sure most of us have fumbled half asleep with the identical draw cords on our sleeping bag hoods and 50% of the time got the wrong one on the 1st try.

My question is WHY HAVEN'T SLEEPING BAG MANUFACTURERS GOTTEN WISE TO THIS PROBLEM?? All it takes is one flat cord and one round cord. A true no-brainer.

Now at O'dark thirty I can easily tell which cord is which and get back to sleep quickly.

Edited by Danepacker on 10/01/2010 23:25:44 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: tactile drawcord ID on 10/02/2010 00:53:10 MDT Print View

I have an old REI Mojave that actually implements a flat and round cord system. I'd say the system works pretty well, except I never seem to remember which is which so I'm stuck in the same boat as two cords of the same =P

Maybe REI owns the intellectual property of a two cord style system? LOL. It is a useful and simple system that should be implemented more.

BTW: Yes the mojave is for women, yes I am male, yes I paid $20 at a gear sale and no I did not own a sleeping bag beforehand.

Steve Small
(lustreking) - F
Re: Re: tactile drawcord ID on 10/04/2010 06:11:36 MDT Print View

My Coleman Cloudcroft bag, too, has round and flat drawcords. Like Dustin, I cannot ever remember which drawcord is which!