Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada on 09/30/2010 19:03:16 MDT Print View

P1220931 (2)
Tehipite dome & valley on the Middle Fork of the Kings River
Remote,pristine and just as wild as ever!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada on 09/30/2010 20:27:07 MDT Print View

Wow. Fabulous shot. Where was that photo taken from? Was it taken from the trail out over the south wall of the canyon (that goes to Cedar Grove on the S Fork of the Kings)?

How's the trail down the Middle Fork of the Kings River? I know the Park Service Abandoned it some time ago, maybe it's been 30 years now? Is there still a bridge in Simpson Meadow? I assume there's still a bridge at Palisade Creek, yes?

Any info on the trail that leads north from that part of the middle fork to Crown Valley etc?

HJ

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
now that is some fun looking rock climbing on 10/01/2010 10:02:20 MDT Print View

I do miss the Sierra for the nice weather and clean big
domes.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
"Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada" on 10/01/2010 10:15:16 MDT Print View

You always post great pics Jay.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada on 10/01/2010 10:24:10 MDT Print View

Hey Jim, The shot was taken from the north rim coming out from Hey Meadows. The trail is in great condition considering it does not get much use. There was a fire in the area about two years ago and trail crews did a lot of work on it-especially the 1 Million switchbacks down to the valley floor. There is no longer a foot bridge at Simpson Meadow-The North Fork trail is in good condition. I highly recommend starting at the Rancheria TH vs. Crown Valley TH. The Crown Valley trail and area has a lot of cows in it and our group got off track a few times in the beginning which definitely caused some frustration.

Scott Macy
(Yo-Sam) - F

Re: Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada on 10/03/2010 14:26:42 MDT Print View

Jay, I'm trying to plan a trip to Tehipite Valley in the next couple weeks and would appreciate knowing more details about your trip: best route, trail conditions, water availability, bear activity, etc.

Thanks

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

RE: Largest dome in the Sierra Nevada on 10/03/2010 17:46:35 MDT Print View

Hey Scott, There is a trip report on Tehipite-- Called (Tehipte Trek)in the Trip report section... We saw one bear on the trail and there was bear scat literly every 20-30 yards on the trail in Tehipte Valley ---Not kidding!!! The trail was in great condition-- PM if you have any other specifiic questions...

Edited by Creachen on 10/03/2010 18:09:10 MDT.