Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Emigrant Wilderness Suggestions?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Emigrant Wilderness Suggestions? on 09/30/2010 14:38:39 MDT Print View

I'll be in Emigrant Wilderness for 7 nights in early October and am looking for route suggestions and/or individual campsite suggestions, preferably some off the main trail. Not interested in fishing, just nice scenery. My initial thoughts are something along the lines of Crabtree > Chewing Gum Lake > Deer Lake > Letora Lake (2 nights with day trip to Huckleberry Lake) > Pingree Lake (2 nights with day trip to Big Lake) > Gem Lake > Crabtree.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Emigrant Wilderness Suggestions? on 09/30/2010 14:56:15 MDT Print View

Hi Chris,

Very do-able if the season's first big storm doesn't hit first. With all the available lakes, Emigrant rewards wandering around. You might also look at Wire Lakes as a posssible destination (the southernmost is nicest). Note that all streams and most creeks will be dry as a bone until it starts raining, so don't count on access to running water.

I'd carefully check deer hunting season in that zone, as the area is heavily hunted. If it's on, bright clothing at all times and consider not hiking at dawn or dusk.

I've gotten myself sunburned in Emigrant in October and snowbound in September, so it can go either way. If the weather holds it's a great destination.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by halfturbo on 09/30/2010 14:56:59 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Emigrant Wilderness Suggestions on 09/30/2010 15:34:02 MDT Print View

Emigrant Wilderness Loop-- Starting from Kennedy Meadows is 39.5 miles and takes 4-6 days. You will see a lot of lakes and do a couple of passes...This is a excellent hike and fairly close to the Bay Area....

Ed Collyer
(ecollyer) - F

Locale: East Bay Area
Fire on 10/01/2010 12:40:43 MDT Print View

I was just up in Emigrant and there is a fire burning, "pinecrest fire, which is being left to burn. I am not sure exactly where or if it intersects your trip, but something to look into.

Eddie

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Gianelli Cabin on 10/01/2010 13:19:09 MDT Print View

I prefer the Gianelli Cabin trailhead to the two others I've tried (Crabtree and Kennedy Meadows). Gianelli starts higher and gets you right into the nice lake country within an hour.

Emigrant is a good place for gentle cross-country travel, if you're into that.

- Elizabeth

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks on 10/01/2010 16:10:15 MDT Print View

Thanks for the suggestions.

---------------------------
Edited to test some things here rather than creating new threads in the User Test Forum

Header 1

Header 2

• List 1

• List 2

• List 3

Strong
Bold

Pic

Pic

P

Edited by csteutterman on 03/28/2014 16:54:31 MDT.