Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dinkey lakes Wildeness next weekend

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
Dinkey lakes Wildeness next weekend on 09/30/2010 01:24:20 MDT Print View

hey all
So I got a long weekend from school, and wana take advantage of it, and get a short backpacking trip in. I was first thinking of going up to Yosemite, but I think I am gonna head into the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness instead. With that being said, are there any lakes in the Dinkey lakes Wilderness that you would recommend to go to, or to avoid? Any good off trail lakes in the area that are good?
Thanks
Dan

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Dinkey Lakes on 10/01/2010 18:51:13 MDT Print View

When I was there a few years ago we stayed at South Lake, Cliff Lake and Island Lake. Be sure to hike 3 Sisters. The views are incredible. If you hike up to Island Lake you can just cross country a ways out to the trail and back to the trailhead. That way you don't have to loop all the way back around.

We were up there during a real cold spell. The views from the edge of Island Lake were stunning. No fires. The cold clear air was the best many had ever seen. We got lucky! That was my first backpack trip with my boys and their scout troop. Got me back into the game.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Dinkey Lakes Wilderness on 10/19/2010 01:22:37 MDT Print View

Hi Dan. I just noticed your post about Dinkey Lakes Wilderness so I may be a little late to provide much help with your recent weekend trip. I have been camping in that area every summer since the early 90's and I am familiar with many of the good spots off the trail. There are some amazing places to camp near Dinkey Dome, Virginia Lake, Betty Lake and Sportsman Lake. All are off trail but easily accessable if you are willing to do a little climbing.

Dinkey Creek (starting at the base of Dinkey Dome and following down stream for about 3 miles) is a granite canyon with natural waterfalls, waterslides and hundreds of pools. Some large enough to cliff dive into, some just large enough to sit in and cool off. There are good camp sites at the base of Dinkey Dome and at the north end of Dinkey Creek Trail. Here's a photo of some alpenglow on Dinkey Dome:

And some hiking up the creek:

Another good area is along the South Fork of Dinkey Creek. I took a solo trip in this area to Virginia, Betty and Sportman Lakes this summer. Starting at the Dinkey Lakes Trailhead follow Dinkey Creek south all the way to Virginia and Betty Lakes. Climb out of the canyon and up to Sportsman Lake. Nelson Mountain is a good climb just above Sportsman and the views are well worth the effort. There are a few existing camp sites at Sportsman, but I just camped along the waterfront:

sportsman

This is the granite canyon that runs along the South Fork of Dinkey Creek:

south fork

Camping along the South Fork Dinkey Creek:

camping along south fork

A final shot of Dinkey Creek, just below Dinkey Dome:

Miningtown Meadow is beautiful and surprisingly the bugs were not a problem in early September.

I have a lot of good memories of this area. We used to go on holiday summer weekends and not see another soul, although it's starting to get 'found out'.

Edited by bluewater on 07/20/2013 14:06:01 MDT.