Forum Index » GEAR » eVent Rain Pants & Rain Suits

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
eVent Rain Pants & Rain Suits on 09/27/2010 22:14:05 MDT Print View

I'm looking for lightweight eVent rain pants or a rain suit for hiking and trekking.

A few of the items I have seen on the Internet seem more winter-oriented (heavier).

Any recommendations?

Thanks...

wander lust
(sol)
rab drillium pants on 09/27/2010 22:38:03 MDT Print View

I like my Rab drillium pants. 7.9oz (Medium)

In terms of jackets: I like my montane quickfire, but it is not longer produced and hard to get.
Any jackets from montane, rab or ID are usually highly recommended...

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Rain Pants & Rain Suits on 09/27/2010 22:45:33 MDT Print View

MontBell Versalite Jacket and Pants. Not eVent but their own DryLightTec fabric. The jacket and pants together weigh ~450g.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
lightweight event on 09/27/2010 22:48:49 MDT Print View

The 2 that come to mind are the Integral Designs Rain Pants, and the Rab Drillium Rain pants. Both are ~10 oz. Not sure you can go much lighter than that at the moment.

I think the lightest event jacket (with a full functional hood) is the rab Demand pullover. Again, roughly 10 oz. If you want a hoodless design, or one with a mediocre hood, Integral Designs has a lighter option

These are what's available right now. Original Mountain Marathon (UK based) was suppose to come out with a lighter pullover, but I've yet to see it online.

Here's an older thread where I've posted similar info and pics

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30089&skip_to_post=256502

Edited by Konrad1013 on 09/27/2010 22:50:56 MDT.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Rab Jackets - Fit on 09/27/2010 23:03:39 MDT Print View

Konrad,

How is the fit for Rab jackets? Is it closer to the Arcteryx fit (fitted body, long arms), or the Patagonia fit (boxy body, short arms)?

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
fit on 09/27/2010 23:41:44 MDT Print View

Seeing as how Rab is UK based, they come with a european cut (a bit narrower in the shoulders/chest when compared to american jackets...the zipper is even on the other side with Rab!) , so they are definitely not boxy like patagonia or north face. When I compare my Arcteryx with my Rab, I actually find the Rab one to be even more athletically cut, as the torso is even more trim. The arms are perfect IMO. I have monkey limbs (for reference, im 5'9, but only have an 18.5 torso, yet my sleeve length is 34") With my arms to my side, the sleeves on my size Small Rab still go past my wrist. The cuff is diagonally cut, with the palm side of the material being slightly past my wrist, and the other side having enough material to go about halfway down the back of my hand. Needless to say, when I raise my ape appendages, my wrists are still covered and protected from the elements. To sum it up, if you're a slim/med or otherwise athletic build, you'll love the cut.

What size are you? I'm replacing my Rab drillium (Jacket, not pants) with a Rab Latok Alpine (better hood on the latter), and will probably let the drillium go. I'm a size small. Just send me a PM if you're interested. Thanks

Edited by Konrad1013 on 09/27/2010 23:49:44 MDT.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
dont forget on 09/28/2010 05:05:06 MDT Print View

dont forget to posibly size up to wear insulation underneath, get one too small and you may compress your down jacket to the point of failure.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 09/28/2010 05:07:43 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: eVent Rain Pants & Rain Suits on 09/28/2010 09:38:41 MDT Print View

I can vouch for the Integral Designs eVent pullover, which is basically a Rab Demand pull on. It's 10 ounces, all eVent, very functional. Good build quality & attention to detail. They make pants to "match."

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Rab sizing on 09/28/2010 17:58:58 MDT Print View

Konrad, I'm a medium size for Acteryx jackets. The thing is, my shoulders are quite broad (wear 39-40 suit jackets), arms long (wear 36" dress shirts), but my waist is trim (32"-33" when wearing blue jeans). I think that a Rab small size might be too narrow for my shoulders.

Ike, Why would you wear a down jacket under a rain shell? Wouldn't you just end up steaming the down to the point of collapse (where it loses it's insulative properties)? Is this common among hikers? I usually just wear my base layer + rain shell. If it's really cold or windy, then I'll add a fleece layer to the mix.

Edited by NightMarcher on 09/28/2010 18:04:48 MDT.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Rab sizing on 09/28/2010 18:34:45 MDT Print View

Chris, you wouldn't wear down under a shell while hiking. You'd do it in camp if you're in mixed conditions, ie 30*F rain.

On Rab/ID sizing, go up a size from normal. I wear a medium jacket from just about everyone on the market, but definitely needed to go to a large for the ID pullover.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Rain shell over a down jacket on 09/28/2010 19:00:13 MDT Print View

Brad,

Yeah, I just see no reason for wearing a down jacket under a rain shell. In mixed conditions, as you describe, I'd just duck into a tent or under a tarp.

I prefer to keep the rainshell fitted to my body--not tight, but not baggy either--to aid in moisture expulsion. My understanding is that body heat drives the moisture expulsion mechanism in waterproof/breathable fabrics, so the closer to your body the more heat (moisture) is expelled.

Correct me if my understanding is wrong here...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
rain on 09/28/2010 19:58:02 MDT Print View

if youre dealing with a lot of freezing rain i wouldnt take a down jacket

the shell for me should be large enough to cover you with 2 mid layers on (ex. fleece and light synthetic jacket)

any colder and youll be in temps where it just snows

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Rab Drillium On Sale on 09/29/2010 09:44:39 MDT Print View

I was just checking out some of the jackets suggested and came upon the Rab Drillium for $190....regular $275

http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_drillium_jacket.html

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Who is CAMP? on 09/29/2010 12:40:36 MDT Print View

I found this on another site, but can't locate the company.

"CAMP Compact Event Jacket"

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

CAMP on 09/29/2010 13:09:06 MDT Print View

http://www.horydoly.cz/foto/camp_horo_2009/img00010.jpg Looks interesting. CZ company if link doesn't work Google "compact event jacket"CAMP

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

THANKS on 09/29/2010 13:37:13 MDT Print View

THANKS...from Czeck Republic

Edited by HairlessApe on 09/29/2010 13:44:30 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

re Thanks on 09/29/2010 13:57:07 MDT Print View

If you find out what this and the anorak cost and if they ship to the US please post the info. Looks very competitive in terms of features.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
C.A.M.P on 09/29/2010 14:05:28 MDT Print View

C.A.M.P are an Italian outfit. There hardwear is popular in the UK, but i haven't seen any of their clothing.
Website here

Edited by MikefaeDundee on 09/29/2010 14:09:26 MDT.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
CAMP USA on 09/29/2010 14:34:46 MDT Print View

They have a US site:

http://www.camp-usa.com

They also have some windshirts, softshell, and down clothing, but no eVent yet.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Rain shell over a down jacket on 09/29/2010 14:49:18 MDT Print View

"I just see no reason for wearing a down jacket under a rain shell. In mixed conditions, as you describe, I'd just duck into a tent or under a tarp."

I wear a down jkt under my rain shell regularly. Anytime it's rainy, cold and I need to be outside this is what I wear. Some examples would be while cooking lunch on the trail on a cold rainy day, when setting up camp and when I first start hiking on a really cold morning.

"I prefer to keep the rainshell fitted to my body--not tight, but not baggy either--to aid in moisture expulsion. My understanding is that body heat drives the moisture expulsion mechanism in waterproof/breathable fabrics, so the closer to your body the more heat (moisture) is expelled."
Maybe this is true, but in my experience the overall amount of moisture expelled is still pretty minimal since WP/B shells just aren't very breathable. This tactic may work better, but I'm not sure it's a huge improvement. I'd rather have a rain jkt that I can layer under.