Forum Index » GEAR » 4 person backpacking shelter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
4 person backpacking shelter on 09/29/2010 12:55:57 MDT Print View

And I remember when Franco would have done a full mock-up with string. Anyway.........I found out what he demonstrated so well the hard way, when I got my Shangri-La 3.

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
pic of black diamond on 09/29/2010 21:40:22 MDT Print View

mega bugmegalite

We have to remember cost to. What is going to be a good bang for the buck. I called Golite and the GS5 is. 525.oo
BD megalite/bug 510.00
Oware is I think 299 without the netting on the bottom no floor option maybe 390.00 with netting no floor option.
tarptent hogback 375.00

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Re: 4 person backpacking shelter on 09/29/2010 21:46:02 MDT Print View

wow Franco you are passionate about gear. Amazing drawings thanks for sharing. How is ventilation on the hogback?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
4 person backpacking shelter on 09/29/2010 23:32:02 MDT Print View

Matt
The drawing are amazing but as I pointed out they are Henry Shires's drawings not mine.
I can't even use Sketchup...

I am part of Tarptent so indirectly it is self serving ( I make a commission if you buy a TT here in Australia...) however I have been posting my silly mock-ups to inspire others to do the same for several years..
Somehow I find comments like " if you are 6' high your floor needs to be at least 95' long" (or something like that)" rather meaningless because it may apply to one design but not another.
Franco

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
4 person backpacking shelter on 09/30/2010 02:13:12 MDT Print View

I agree with Franco. I found out the hard way that just measuring the floor area out on my living room carpet doesn't do the job. You need to mock up the walls as well, as he does!

I have gotten to the point that I want the highest part of the tent over my head--that's where I'm the most comfortable and seem to have the least problems with condensation. Your mileage, of course, may and probably will vary!

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/30/2010 02:15:38 MDT.

Jeff Eberhard
(eberjef)

Locale: Bay Area
Hogback vs. Pyramids on 09/30/2010 21:39:51 MDT Print View

Matt,

I have both a Hogback and and MLD SuperMid. I love them both, but if you want a floor and full bugnet to fit 4 people, the Hogback is the way to go, at least in my experience.

The SuperMid is spacious enough for 4 people, but only if you don't use the InnerNet. My SuperMid is great when I take my two boys -- they dig the no floor thing. When my daughter comes along, she doesn't like bugs, or even the thought of bugs crawling on her at night. But the Mid/InnerNet will only fit three comfortably.

At 65 ounces, the Hogback gives you truly enough space for 4 with all the advantages of a typical tent. It just works.

My two cents.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Hogback in the wind on 09/30/2010 22:32:08 MDT Print View

Jeff what's the Hogback like in the wind? Thanks.

Jeff Eberhard
(eberjef)

Locale: Bay Area
Hogback in the wind on 10/01/2010 06:56:42 MDT Print View

Jason,

Good question. Short answer: I don't know yet. I've only taken it out a couple of time, and the wind was never strong.

Obviously, a pyramid is going to be better than the Hogback in the wind. But with proper site selection and guying out, I think the Hogback will do fine to 30-40 mph. Just a guess.

I look at the Hogback as the family tent -- easy trips, no expectation of extreme conditions. But I think it would do fine in a strong storm. I just wouldn't put it on a ridgeline.

Franco would probably be able to give a much better answer about this.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: Hogback in the wind on 10/01/2010 07:33:10 MDT Print View

I haven't had my Hogback out in winds greather than 10 mph. I agree with everything Jeff said. For any sustained wind over 20 mph, I'd want to use the four extra guyout points (for which stakes and lines aren't included). For over 40 mph, guying out the very top pole guyout point might give it a chance.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Hogback on 10/01/2010 08:55:11 MDT Print View

"Obviously, a pyramid is going to be better than the Hogback in the wind."

I think guyed out this would not be true. I think of the hooped design and how ideal it is for windy European climates. It has been 'copied' time and time again.

I think people are overestimating what a tall pyramid can do.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
mids in the wind on 10/01/2010 09:44:57 MDT Print View

"I think people are overestimating what a tall pyramid can do."

---

I don't agree with this part of your statement.

Lots of "tall mids" in Antarctica.

http://questacon.typepad.com/polarpassport/2007/04/the_tent.html

"They are proven as strong, safe and reasonably comfortable in the worst conditions, and are used by almost every country conducting research expeditions in Antarctica."

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/living_and_working/virtual/travel/rfield.php

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-and-working/field-operations/tents-shelters-and-huts/tents/polar-pyramid-tents

"The polar pyramid, if properly pitched and well-secured, will withstand winds of up 100 km/hour in full blizzard conditions. It relies on its pyramid shape for stability and on the load of snow packed on its valance. "

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

4 person backpacking shelter on 10/01/2010 09:48:48 MDT Print View

I stand corrected. The Pyramid IS the best shelter available. It obviously cuts through the wind like a hot knife through butter, offers the most space, and is stronger than any poled design.

Obviously a low profile shelter will not do as well in the wind.

Gotta go wash my Hummer. Later.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
sarcasm on 10/01/2010 10:10:07 MDT Print View

Sarcasm noted.

Gotto go clean the Mauser. (Actually cut some tarps out
and work on tax reporting.)

The following is not sarcasm:

I love those sketchups earlier in the thread.

Henry is a great guy, buy several of his tents.

A couple of Ron's too.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

4 person backpacking shelter on 10/01/2010 10:16:31 MDT Print View

Exactly - gear needs company.

Cheers.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
mids on 10/01/2010 12:29:40 MDT Print View

FWIW, I've regularly slept (& comfortably) 2 people per side of the center pole in a 9x9 mid. Actually, it's usually been two people on one half, 2 shepherd mixes and all the gear on the other side, plenty of room to spare. Real hard to beat a mid for space to weight. That said, the Hogback looks like a great tent.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Hogback in the wind on 10/01/2010 15:14:25 MDT Print View

Thanks for the feedback. The Hogback looks like it would be a great family shelter for three or four of us, will definitely be looking into in the next year or so.

David seems to me to have a bit of a thing about mids :). I can't really comment, as I haven't had my Duomid out in high winds yet, so I might end up agreeing with him. I am planning to climb a hill near my house on the next windy day and give it a try out. Wellington NZ where I live is notorious for strong winds and the hill I plan to plan to try it out on is one of the windiest places I have found. I do know of one UK Duomid user who wasn't happy with high wind performance in exposed places. Many others, however, seem very happy.

The Hogback would be very much a family shelter for us, so I wouldn't need maximum high wind performance anyway. I was just curious, as I don't know of many tents of this design in this size.

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Re: 4 person backpacking shelter on 10/03/2010 09:51:05 MDT Print View

Franco we need a you tube video of the hogbak setup , walk around and demo of sleeping mats inside . I love your videos they are great. Thanks

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Re: Hogback vs. Pyramids on 10/03/2010 09:55:52 MDT Print View

Wow is it true if you get the MLD mid 295 then another 195 for netting so your going to be over 500 about the price of the golite S5 ?

Edited by tritan on 10/03/2010 19:12:46 MDT.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Hogback on 10/03/2010 10:12:33 MDT Print View

Agree David. I own a DuoMid and it is not a bomber wind resistant shelter. It is a good shelter and stands upright in strong winds but the shelter gets battered and knocked about and it has limits. The Arctic shelter people mention are heavy canvass models with multi point guy lines and massive thick poles to support them. Royal Marine Commandoes put them up for the UK Government Survey teams in the Arctic regions.

Edited by rye1966 on 10/03/2010 13:49:03 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Hogback on 10/03/2010 10:31:22 MDT Print View

Hi Jason - actually I do like pyramids. I own both a MLD SoloMid and a Trailstar.