November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cheap and light silicone pot holders
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kim Clements

Locale: Ohio
Cheap and light silicone pot holders on 09/27/2010 07:31:50 MDT Print View

I found this tong with silicone ends at our local Dollar Tree store. If you don’t have a Dollar Tree store in your area, it is the only dollar store I know of that everything in the store is truly $1.00 or less.

Immediately I thought “what can I do with the silicone”? The silicone ends pull off easily. Here was my idea
full tong
tong ends
silicone ends only
lift from sides
lift 2 from handle
lift 1 from handles

It may also be able to be used as a lip guard for a hot cup. They weigh 4 grams each.

Edited by wrestling_dad on 09/27/2010 09:58:36 MDT.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Cheap and light silicone pot holders on 09/27/2010 08:37:01 MDT Print View

Nice find! I was just going to look for cheap kitchen silicone for myself. This looks great.

Could you edit your post with <br/> tags in between the images to break up the horizontal scroll?

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
other cheap silicone on 09/27/2010 11:21:00 MDT Print View

I like the finger-ends...

My local £1 shop has two thin silicone mats for, well, £1...

One is circular, one is rectangular. I'm thinking of folding and fastening back the ends of the rectangular one to make a 'mini oven glove', which would protect thumb and fingers like your tong tips.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
silicone pot holders: Poach Pods on 09/27/2010 11:28:59 MDT Print View

I've seen these at a local market. They are thin and flexible enough to be used as a pot holder, but maybe other things too: mug lid? emergency cup? funny small hat for visiting mice?