Cheap and light silicone pot holders
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kim Clements
(wrestling_dad)

Locale: Ohio
Cheap and light silicone pot holders on 09/27/2010 07:31:50 MDT Print View

I found this tong with silicone ends at our local Dollar Tree store. If you don’t have a Dollar Tree store in your area, it is the only dollar store I know of that everything in the store is truly $1.00 or less.

Immediately I thought “what can I do with the silicone”? The silicone ends pull off easily. Here was my idea
full tong
tong ends
silicone ends only
lift from sides
lift 2 from handle
lift 1 from handles

It may also be able to be used as a lip guard for a hot cup. They weigh 4 grams each.

Edited by wrestling_dad on 09/27/2010 09:58:36 MDT.

Jared Dilg
(Village) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Re: Cheap and light silicone pot holders on 09/27/2010 08:37:01 MDT Print View

Nice find! I was just going to look for cheap kitchen silicone for myself. This looks great.

Could you edit your post with <br/> tags in between the images to break up the horizontal scroll?

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
other cheap silicone on 09/27/2010 11:21:00 MDT Print View

I like the finger-ends...

My local £1 shop has two thin silicone mats for, well, £1...

One is circular, one is rectangular. I'm thinking of folding and fastening back the ends of the rectangular one to make a 'mini oven glove', which would protect thumb and fingers like your tong tips.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
silicone pot holders: Poach Pods on 09/27/2010 11:28:59 MDT Print View

I've seen these at a local market. They are thin and flexible enough to be used as a pot holder, but maybe other things too: mug lid? emergency cup? funny small hat for visiting mice?

http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-Poach-Pods-Set-Green/dp/B000P6FD3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285608322&sr=8-1