Forum Index » Gear Deals » REI eVent

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
REI eVent on 09/26/2010 15:31:59 MDT Print View

I'm not sure, but this might be the cheapest eVent jacket around. It doesn't have a hood, but I think it could translate into a decent backpacking rain jacket.

Worth a look, at any rate. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/786903

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
weight? on 09/26/2010 20:05:47 MDT Print View

they dont mention the weight.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: weight? on 09/26/2010 20:09:27 MDT Print View

When REI is so stupid that they do not mention the weight of the product, I simply won't buy it. Pretty soon you would think that they will learn that there is a small community of UL backpackers who might have been interested in such a product, but ignoring the weight issue simply causes us to shop elsewhere.

--B.G.--

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: weight? on 09/26/2010 20:45:01 MDT Print View

I googled it and the weight is 11oz
http://www.backpacker.com/september-09-gear-review-rei-oxt-airflyte-running-jacket-/gear/13270

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: weight? on 09/27/2010 02:28:00 MDT Print View

"When REI is so stupid that they do not mention the weight of the product, I simply won't buy it. Pretty soon you would think that they will learn that there is a small community of UL backpackers who might have been interested in such a product, but ignoring the weight issue simply causes us to shop elsewhere."

Bob,

I have found that they often do not show the weight specs on running gear, but usually do on "backpacking & mountaineering" gear. But to your point, I do have some of their running tops I use on my hiking trips. I wore one of their OXT Airflyte Hoodyies on several trips last winter.

I am more irritated that many of their stores don't have scales. The Torrance store had one years ago when I lived there.

Last year I was in their Las Vegas store, and they looked at me like I was some sort of a zombie when I asked for a scale to weight some stuff.

James D Buch
(rocketman) - F

Locale: Midwest
Weight _ DIY on 09/27/2010 06:02:51 MDT Print View

Nick,

I understand your frustration with lack of scales in backpacking stores. For that reason, I shopped around and found a nice portable scale that fits into a reasonably sized pocket.

It weighs up to 5 KG with 5 gram accuracy and cost less than $20 shipped.

I posted it here previously. It is currently buried in my gear boxes as I have been mostly bedridden for a month. So I can't tell you the make and model.

You do get some stares when you are in a store and you pull out your little hanging scale and a plastic sack and begin to weigh a whole bunch of things.

I found that my sense of comparative weigh judgment by holding two items in my hands is rottenly unreliable. The scale tells the real story, time after time.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: REI eVent on 09/27/2010 06:26:16 MDT Print View

reviews say the jacket breathes GREAT, but the event is pretty still and doesnt hang right when zipped or unzipped. people also say collar brushes chin hard as well. looks like they are doing away with this jacket due to these constant complaints. great return policy, so check it out, that was my diligince though...

Edited by rbeard on 09/27/2010 06:26:48 MDT.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Weight _ DIY on 09/27/2010 08:16:37 MDT Print View

james-

What?! you're comparative judgement is unreliable? I've been using that system my whole life! am i gonna have to buy a scale? Seriously though, i do find myself doing that in stores, expecting to find out which item is 2.3oz and which is 2.6oz. as if....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: weight? on 09/27/2010 12:54:47 MDT Print View

"Last year I was in their Las Vegas store, and they looked at me like I was some sort of a zombie when I asked for a scale to weight some stuff."

I don't know, Nick. Have you looked in a mirror lately?

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: weight? on 09/27/2010 13:02:47 MDT Print View

Bob,

No mirror in my gear list...