Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Baffin Island

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Fothergill
(bwca51964)

Locale: Minnesota
Baffin Island on 09/25/2010 22:10:34 MDT Print View

Thinking about a trip to Baffin Island in 2011 or 2012. Looking for information to spend 2-3 weeks backpacking.

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Re: Baffin Island on 09/25/2010 23:01:53 MDT Print View

I've kayaked most of the northern end out of Pond Inlet, Bylot Island and Frobisher Bay on Baffin. It is an amazing place. Lots of polar bears, especially in the south along the Meta Incognita Peninsula -- that name, which means value uncertain, is worth spending the time and money to travel.

We always ran into folk walking along the coast on these trips, which are now 12 - 17 years in the past. The terrain is great for hiking,but you might want to bring a pacraft for crossing the inlets. You can see forever and walk around the majority of the small lakes and ponds. I would suggest you fly into Pond Inlet and walk the coast, or get someone to take you Bylot Island. There are still remnants of 19th c. whaling and exploratory caches along that coast.

Patricia Heydtmann
(pheydtmann) - F
The Itijjagiaq trail on 05/15/2011 08:03:56 MDT Print View

I am looking for somebody that could provide some information on the Itijjagiaq trail in Katannilik, Baffin Island. I have a hard time getting information. We are planning to do the trail last week of August first of September this year. I would like to understand how difficultvthe river crossings are, if there is a suggested route? Any body has been there? Any advice? Thank you!