Forum Index » GEAR » Scarp 2 - flapping in the wind!?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Scarp 2 - flapping in the wind!? on 09/25/2010 12:22:09 MDT Print View

Hi all -
just back from a week long trip in Corsica using the Scarp 2. Overall, the tent was great (I'll review more in detail) BUT! one thing that was extremely annoying were the clips for the external cross-poles (which we did not use) constantly banging against the tent in high winds. Sounds familiar to anybody? Solutions?
Thanks!
Sven

Ken Ross
(kross) - MLife
Re: Scarp 2 flapping on 09/25/2010 14:35:13 MDT Print View

The clips are removable; just pull the straps through the buckles. A bit of a pain if you had to do it frequently, but I generally don't use the cross poles so usually keep the straps off. If you're taking the poles "just in case," you can roll up the straps and secure them with a rubber band. However, if you're carrying the poles and the wind is strong enough to bang the clips around, might as well just attach the poles and keep both clips and tent quieter.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: Scarp 2 flapping on 11/24/2010 14:05:41 MST Print View

I'm wondering if velcro spots (the size of a silver dollar) glued next to where the flaps are for the cross poles could hold down the flaps during summer use when poles are not used. What do you think?

You mention the use of rubber bands, can you visualize how that works to stop the flapping sound?

Thanks!

PS, any Scarp 2 owners -- how do you like the tent for winter camping after having used it? Do you have the 2010 model or an earlier model? Indicate if you used the solid fabric liner and cross poles in the wintertime? How is the use of the solid fabric liner in the summer or spring/fall too?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Scarp 2 - flapping in the wind!? on 11/24/2010 14:56:30 MST Print View

Or you can do this :

clip together

BTW, do install and use pole guylines .
Franco

Bart Kempny
(plasmation) - F - MLife
Scarp 2 on Crete on 01/10/2011 13:40:29 MST Print View

Hello Sven, I will be taking the Scarp on a 10 day hike to Crete. I don't know how Corsica's terrain compares to that of Crete, but still I am curious did you use an additional floor? I got the tyvek one and I am wandering if it will be necessary. For now I plan to take the mesh interior with crossing poles (I got the solid int too). Here again I am wandering if taking the crossing poles will not be overkill. We will hike at the beginning of March, snow should not be an issue and also apparently there are no strong sustained winds in March. I used the Scarp for just 2 days in november (in Poland).