Why we're out there.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Why we're out there. on 09/24/2010 02:43:51 MDT Print View

Many of us obsess over gear (me too, it's fun!). Some of us do it for the physical sport of it. Some of us do it for photography. All of us do it to be "out there," for one reason or another.

But how often do you sit back and realize just how Damn beautiful things are, and how lucky you are to be able to experience it?

I was perusing through some photos from some of my trips and overwhelming amazement and happiness flooded in. The great music and good beer couldn't have helped at all :) But, it was just one of those reflective moments when you realize there are still great things that us humans haven't messed up yet, away from the stress, politicking, and things that take away from what matters.

I don't live in the west where there are trailheads a stone's throw from everyone's door that yield breathtaking mountain views (yes, i'm jealous), but I have been lucky enough to go on almost every one of my hikes with my girlfriend (now finacee). For me, backpacking is more than a hobby or sport. Its a chance to seal in time a moment that is purely mine and no one else's. Looking at the pictures and recalling the memories, even the tough times on the trail were exceptional ones.

I didn't mean for this to come across as overly sappy, but I figured I'd lay some of my thoughts out to you.

I find myself daydreaming all the time about being out there. How about you? Why are you really out there?

http://vimeo.com/15245149

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Why we're out there on 09/24/2010 04:13:09 MDT Print View

Short answer: I like to walk.

Long answer: I like to walk.

Ironically, I started walking again (around the neighborhood) to lose weight. At the peak, I was up to 12 miles per day. I started at 3:30 AM, walked for three hours, went to work, walked for three hours more in the late afternoon, made dinner (a very frugal one) for my family, collapsed or went back to the observatory to do a program, and got up at 3:30 to start the process anew.

-100 pounds later, I discovered that the neighborhood was a boring walk, and I needed the stimulation of the (very) occasional decent views from local metro parks.

Now, I walk into the deeper woods of the national and state forests of Ohio because I like the views and the solitude.

As I've said here before, I love people. I love them even more when I can spend a day or two away from them. I have learned to love the solitude of stealth camping deep in the woods with only the yipping of the coyotes, the chirping of the birds, the sizzling trills of the cicadas, and the hooting of the owls as my companions.

Mostly, in other words, I like to walk away for a while from our somewhat sad civilization -- our screens and mini-malls -- into the vibrant simplicity of the woods. And I am at my happiest when nothing dies at my hand when I am there, when nature is simply able to forget my presence, when I leave no trace of the complex carnage that is my life outside the woods, when I don't help to kill the thing I love.

That's it. I like to walk.

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 09/24/2010 04:34:14 MDT.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Why we're out there on 09/24/2010 04:27:29 MDT Print View

Wonderfully said Stargazer. Sounds like we should go for a walk someday :)

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
experiences on 09/24/2010 05:19:14 MDT Print View

were all chasing a new experience, but unfortunately no experience lasts, so we need another one! Its a vicious cycle.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
climb on 09/24/2010 13:25:23 MDT Print View

only reason is to hike to climb ... or to keep fit enough for the approaches

if it's not technical its boring ... it's called slogging then ;)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Why We're Out There on 09/26/2010 09:33:46 MDT Print View

I like the natural scenery. I like the peace, quiet and sweet solitude of hiking solo. I also like the fun and camaraderie when hiking with friends. And so I hike...

Edited by ben2world on 09/26/2010 09:36:57 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Why we're out there . . . on 09/26/2010 09:52:50 MDT Print View

Thanks, Jeff. Great-looking stove on your web site, BTW. Just bought one!

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 09/26/2010 10:24:21 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Why we're out there . . . on 09/27/2010 15:51:28 MDT Print View

Or to put it another way,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8xPZnMkL4

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 09/27/2010 15:52:01 MDT.

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
No matter how many peaks... on 09/29/2010 19:47:58 MDT Print View

No matter how many peaks
I climb
No matter how many rivers
I cross
No matter how many forests
I walk
They were there before me,
They'll be there after me,
And my small
short
single
existance
Should never change them,
as much as they change me.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: "Why we're out there." on 09/29/2010 20:29:55 MDT Print View

Nice thread.
I've always been 'out there' in a good way. ;-)
I can't imagine living any other way.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Why we're out there? on 09/29/2010 21:40:53 MDT Print View

For me I love the mountains,nature and any wild life. I have been obsessed with backpacking for the last ten years and look forward to the next ten years...I had a long athletic career in my past which was all about the TEAM-which is great but backpacking is all scenery,terrain and self-reflection(In the Zone)for me! I wish I had started backpacking much earlier in my life...Enjoy the Great Outdoors while you still can! It's never enough.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Why we're out there." on 09/30/2010 19:01:42 MDT Print View

"Why we're out there."

For the solitude, the deafening silence, the ferocity of a swollen river, the creaking of the Ponderosa swaying overhead, the turbulence of the wind as it pushes through the needles, the chill of morning around the spent ashes of an evening past, the click of a buckle right before cinching up my hipbelt, the unknown, for too many other reasons to list. I guess to put it simply... because it's there!