What's the lightest option for delicious filtered water?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
What's the lightest option for delicious filtered water? on 09/21/2010 21:42:21 MDT Print View

I currently carry a Hiker-Pro, and am not willing to give up the convenience or taste and appearance of filtered water. I definitely don't wanna go the floaty route.

What's the lightest it gets for filtered water?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"What's the lightest option for delicious filtered water?" on 09/21/2010 21:56:31 MDT Print View

I believe the Aquamira Frontier Pro is the lightest filtered water solution. I may be wrong.

Aquamira Frontier Pro filter

Many people use it, sometimes in conjunction with Aquamira drops, chlorine dioxide tablets, bleach, iodine, etc. It's not a pump style filter, rather it relies on gravity if used in an inline setup, or water can be filtered directly from the outlet through the bite valve. They're inexpensive and work for water that's not sediment riddled.

Tablets or drops used with a fine mesh strainer of some sort to remove debris is an even lighter option, but doesn't clear the taste of foul water like a pump will of course.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: What's the lightest option for delicious filtered water? on 09/21/2010 22:29:17 MDT Print View

I use a cotton bandana for "filtering" and then MicroPur tablets. Sure...it isn't elegant but it works.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: What's the lightest option for delicious filtered water? on 09/21/2010 22:33:38 MDT Print View

I use the Hiker Pro filter element, which fits inside a wide-mouth Nalgene cantene. As a gravity filter, it will do a liter in about 2-3 minutes, depending on water. I've got it rigged with quick connects so I can connect it directly to my water bladder's tube, as well as connecting a mouthpiece to it so I can drink right from the filter!

5 ounces.

Edit: Not the *lightest* but doesn't need chemical treatment like many people use with the Frontier Pro.

Edited by T.L. on 09/21/2010 22:39:15 MDT.

Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
re: travis on 09/21/2010 23:08:03 MDT Print View

Travis, can I use my Hiker Pro's element to do the same thing?

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
frontier vs hiker on 09/22/2010 04:58:46 MDT Print View

I like the hiker better than the frontier pro now because the hole in the frontier pro is small, and the water runs thourgh a bottle neck leading to more stoppages, i think the design of the hiker is better, from experience.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: re: travis on 09/22/2010 05:23:47 MDT Print View

Matthew, as long as its the standard filter, then yes. There are a few threads on here with pictures...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28707&skip_to_post=239380#239380

I removed the black O-ring near the top and hacksawed off a section of the blue part. Be careful not to file it down too far, otherwise it can slip too far inside.

Edited by T.L. on 09/22/2010 05:24:41 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Whats the lightest option for delicious filtered water? on 09/22/2010 09:47:22 MDT Print View

P1010219

P1010226
I use this system in conjunction with Aqua Mira. The Brass filter comes in at 0.3oz and the Aqua Mira comes in repackaged droppers at 1.1oz

Simple and easy and no Floaties!!!

Edited by Creachen on 09/22/2010 09:48:49 MDT.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
lightest option on 09/22/2010 11:07:46 MDT Print View

My lightest option for delicious water is to let Bryan carry the water filter. Mr. GearHead aka my husband Bryan insists on what is probably one of the heaviest filters on the market. He is obsessive about filtration. We have a deal... he carries the beast, a Katadyn Pocket, and I pump all the water. I like pumping water and it certainly lightens the pack for me... lol. I carry Pristine (ClO2) if I am on a trip without him and filter with a bandana.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 09/22/2010 11:08:39 MDT.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Sawyer Inline Filter on 09/22/2010 12:24:11 MDT Print View

I have a DIY solution using a Sawyer inline filter an old 2L+ platy (dirty) and my 70oz Platy hoser (clean). The filter itself weights in around 2.0oz.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3420

Edited by cobberman on 09/22/2010 12:24:45 MDT.

Phyllis B
(PhylB) - F
1 oz. 1 micron water filter on 12/04/2010 22:41:13 MST Print View

I'm a newbie to the site, but have spent lots of time looking for the best - cheap, easy to make, most effective - survival packing items; one of them being a water filtering solution.

I stumbled onto a YouTube video by djbarryiii showing how to make a 1 micron filter from a bag filter for cleaning used cooking oil for biodiesel. It weighs in at around 1oz.

The filter bag is available on Amazon "1 micron Filter Bag" for $5.03. You can get 5 8" filters from the one bag.

Check out his video "Homemade ultralight one micron backpacking water filter".

With this filter, I use colloidal silver to kill any bacteria in the water.

Edited by PhylB on 12/04/2010 22:56:45 MST.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: 1 oz. 1 micron water filter on 12/04/2010 22:55:28 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 12/24/2010 10:10:38 MST.

Phyllis B
(PhylB) - F
1 oz. 1 micron water filter on 12/04/2010 23:00:28 MST Print View

Thanks. I didn't think to search for it before posting. I didn't see any reference to that type of filter in the responses in this thread and thought that Matthew might be interested in it.

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
lightest filter on 12/04/2010 23:04:13 MST Print View

mine is, none