bobcat on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
bobcat on the trail on 09/19/2010 18:13:26 MDT Print View

Last week I was hiking north on the AT in Shenandoah NP and before I got to Skyline Drive at the Sawmill Run overlook, as I was ascending up, I saw a bobcat walk out of the trees onto the trail ahead me and continue walking.

It was early morning and I did not see anyone else on the trail since Calf Mountain. There was a fairly good breeze and acorns were falling. That explains why the bobcat did not hear me. By the time I got my camera out it was almost gone. I kicked some rocks as I tried to catch up a bit for a better picture, but the cat made a quick little hop and vanished.

bobcat on at

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Bobcat on the trail on 09/19/2010 18:34:38 MDT Print View

dscn0756 (2)
Here's one for ya George! Mt. Diablo-East Bay
This one looks just a little well fed or maybe pregnant....

Edited by Creachen on 09/20/2010 00:42:36 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Bobcat on the trail on 09/19/2010 18:59:36 MDT Print View

Great picture. And you don't have to use your imagination looking it like in my picture. : )

That one's much larger than the one I saw. Maybe mine was a young one. When I first noticed it walking through and out of the trees, I assumed it was a dog and looked for its owner. Didn't see anyone and thought maybe it's a stray. Then I got a good look as it entered the trail above me. I could not believe it did not see or hear me. Later I thought about the wind and acorns dropping.

Was pretty cool to watch the cat so calmly and smoothly moving ahead of me - not knowing I was behind even if only for a brief moment.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Bobcat on the trail on 09/19/2010 19:47:22 MDT Print View

Oh, you like these cats?bobcat in camp

--B.G.--

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Bobcat on the trail on 09/20/2010 09:49:26 MDT Print View

show off. ;)