Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
snowshoe tails (MSR Lightning)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
snowshoe tails (MSR Lightning) on 09/18/2010 09:10:36 MDT Print View

posted this in the G Spot, didn't realize we had a dedicated winter hiking sections :)

anywho- not sure how long these have been out, but pretty slick idea- adds 5" of flotation to your shoes when you need it (remove when you don't)

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/snowshoe-accessories/lightning-tails/product

BUT they supposedly only work on the new shoes- seems like they could be retrofitted to the older Lightnings- has anyone tried??

I've got 25" shoes, there definitely have been times I wished I had 30" shoes- be nice to have the option

danke

Jeff K
(jeff.k) - F

Locale: New York
Re: snowshoe tails (MSR Lightning) on 09/18/2010 10:01:56 MDT Print View

I am very interested in as well.

I have the 22 inch. I am quite skinny, but at times an extra 5 inches would help.

I might order some from a place with a good return policy and see if they fit, or I can make them fit.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

from the pics on 09/18/2010 10:09:13 MDT Print View

as near as I can tell- it appears there are a couple of notches cut into the new style to get the tails to fit

http://s3.amazonaws.com/media.cascadedesigns.com/images/product/medium/Lightning_Tails_1_.jpg

what I don't know if the overall shape of the frame is the same

if it were a simple matter of making a couple of notches (via a dremel or the like) that would be really nice :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

doesn't appear that they will work on 09/27/2010 08:15:14 MDT Print View

get to see a couple of close up pics and the 2010 shoes have a raised portion where the notch is cut out- the older styles are flat across and close to the decking- it doesn't look it will work w/ the older styles :(

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tails on 11/23/2010 12:55:19 MST Print View

Mike,

I have the 30" early version of the Lightning Ascent 'shoes.

After looking at the photos of the new 'shoes W/ & W/O the tails I think I could bolt or rivet on adaptors of some type. Maybe even the bolts themselves would be enough.

I'm going to look at the tails at my local REI this winter. I'll bring my Ascents along for a trail fit.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

tails on 11/23/2010 13:06:12 MST Print View

I think your correct something could be fashioned, I looked at it pretty close and couldn't figure out exactly what that something was though :)

I ended up selling my 25" Lightnings and purchasing the "new" 30" ones- I know there are times I'm going to wish I still had the 25's, but at the same time I think there are going to be instances (overnighters) where 30" + tails will be handy too

it's kind of a shame that MSR wasn't (didn't want to?) able to incorporate the new tails system into the older models :(

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Heh, heh on 11/27/2010 13:40:43 MST Print View

Mike,

IO believe the reason MSR disn't make the new Lightning tails backward compatable is something known in industry as "Planned Obsolescence". Heh, heh

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

your probably right on 11/27/2010 13:54:45 MST Print View

sadly, your probably right

I still think w/ a little ingenuity a fella might be able to get these to work on the older shoes