Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Kuster
(slacklinejoe) - MLife

Locale: Flatirons
Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 09/28/2010 13:39:47 MDT Print View

I use my hot sealer with vacuum sealer bags to make my own "jiffy singles". For a change, I swap in almond or cashew butter or use the Super Spackel recipe that's on this site.

As a note, you don't actually have to use the vacuum sealer with those bags since peanut butter won't spoil readily. I have a cheap vacuum sealer that is slow and hard to get a solid seal before it'll fire off the hot seal bar. Instead, I own a dirt cheap hot sealer from Harbor Freight so I can cut and shape my own packages.

Alternatively, Justin's pre-packaged servings are conenient and while not as cheap as DIY, aren't unreasonably expensive.

I've used the squeeze tubes for years prior to owning the hot sealer, works, but I ran into problems with cashew/almond butter drying out and I always kept breaking the white plastic clips. Sure, you can replace the clips, but once the clip broke in the pack, the resulting mess was fomidable and I was in bear country at the time.

Acronym Esq
(acronym.esq) - F

Locale: TX
Re: Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 09/28/2010 22:31:00 MDT Print View

> I'm tired of using sandwich bags to store my peanut butter on hikes and scraping it out of the bag

Couldn't you just turn the bag inside out and rub the remaining peanut butter directly on your tongue|apple|cracker?

acronym 9/28/2010 11:30 PM

Edited by acronym.esq on 09/28/2010 22:31:50 MDT.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Re: Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 09/29/2010 08:09:36 MDT Print View

I carry it inside pretzels.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Re: Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 09/29/2010 22:01:35 MDT Print View

> I'm tired of using sandwich bags to store my peanut butter on hikes and scraping it out of the bag

>Couldn't you just turn the bag inside out and rub the remaining peanut butter directly on your tongue|apple|cracker?

Yeah, but I always manage to get it on myself. Great suggestions thus far. Thanks!

Stephen Morse
(scmorse1) - MLife

Locale: Bay area
Re: "Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in" on 09/29/2010 22:18:06 MDT Print View

I also use those Coghlan squeeze tubes. Or if I don't want to take alot, I buy Justin's Peanut Butter packets. You can get them at REI or Whole Foods.

Sherry Thoeny
(thoeny) - F

Locale: Arkansas
How about... on 10/02/2010 06:58:41 MDT Print View

...an empty fish food container. They can be small. They are lightweight, and the ones I use have a screw on lid. I doubt they are water tight, but should work very well for peanut butter.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
I use the lightweight plastic jar it comes in on 10/03/2010 18:01:16 MDT Print View

I think it's fair to say that on the long trails that's what most people do. I think of peanut butter as a calorie dense food when working hard hiking, so as well as putting it on crackers and such I will get out a spoon and eat a spoonful or two when out on the trail. Thus I can utilize a smaller size jar in just a few days.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Peanut Butter on 10/05/2010 15:34:40 MDT Print View

I have tried most of the above options. I have had success rolling the PB out on a piece of wax paper and then rolling it up and then folding the ends over. Then into a Ziploc. This method works nicely because when you open it you can just scrape peanut butter off with a cracker, etc. Then the wax paper goes back in the Ziploc and into your stash of trash. If it's hot outside the wax paper can leak into the Ziploc which can be a bit messy.

Last trip I just bought 2 oz packets. A bit more money, but, I think I like that better. No leakage.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
trader joe's valencia peannut butter on 10/08/2010 20:05:46 MDT Print View

Trader Joe's Valencia peanut butter with roasted flaxseeds is really pretty decent. Though it requires refrigeration after opening it makes it for a few days in the pack. Gerry tubes are available from the generic camp supplier Coghlans as queeze tubee. I'm pretty sure REI handles these also.

Paul Donnelly
(facedrum) - F
Peanut butter on 12/12/2010 11:24:01 MST Print View

Rather than scraping the remains out, when you get to the end of the bag you might try resealing the zip, cutting off a corner and squeezing the rest out. It works for me at home with goopy-er stuff in bags. Also, bags for holding breast milk *might* be ideal for carrying peanut butter, but I've never tried it.

Paul

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Peanut butter on 12/12/2010 11:38:03 MST Print View

Justins.

Also, I have some Army-issue peanut butter packets in the same size.

--B.G.--

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: I use the lightweight plastic jar it comes in on 12/12/2010 15:25:43 MST Print View

Ditto, jar it comes in on longer trips, with the caveat that I like to buy these at places like gas station mini-marts, as they sometimes carry smaller sized jars, i.e., a 12 oz rather than an 18 oz jar. I've noticed more often recently that even the gas stations are carrying the larger sizes now, so if you do get a smaller jar, consider cleaning it out and reusing it.

Related factors are how much peanut butter you eat, whether you're sharing food between 2 or more people, and how many days of food you're packing.

I miss the old 0.9 oz singles and the 9 oz squeeze tubes, I think these are hard if not impossible to find now (?), and the little single-use units for sale in stores now aren't very good for packing and generally the wrong size for me.

An alternative is to look for alternatives to peanut butter. Refried bean powder works well for me; while it's more on-trail fiddle factor, it's lighter, tasty, and provides the protein I'm looking for.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
What Nick said on 12/13/2010 01:06:50 MST Print View

As Nick Hazelton said, I've used refillable plastic squeeze tubes for peanut butter for the last 30 years. (Yes, Coughlan's has been selling them for that long.)

Nowadays I mix in jelly for instant PBJ. I also carry honey in the squeeze tubes but the "honey tube" also goes in a ZipLoc bag for double protection.

P.S. Be SURE to duct tape the slide-on end keeper so you don't find your food bag full of peanut butter or honey or ketchup, etc.

Edited by Danepacker on 12/13/2010 01:07:32 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Justin's Peanut Butter Squeeze Packs on 12/13/2010 06:52:53 MST Print View

I like the Justin's peanut butter squeeze packs. These are conveniently sized and have enough peanut butter to make a small meal out of or at least spread out on over a dozen crackers. I found these searching for supplements to gels for long distance trail running. Justin's sells their peanut butter in ketchup sized packets, squeeze packets 1.15oz. (preferred), and 16oz jars.

Here's a list of their other flavors that come in the 1.15oz. squeeze packets: honey peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut, classic peanut butter, maple almond butter, honey almond butter, classic almond butter, and chocolate almond butter.

Justin\'s Peanut Butter Squeeze Pack

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 12/13/2010 07:46:29 MST Print View

I carry Justin's. Their plain PB is kind of bland, but the flavored is OK. Oly downside is they're organic, so my body doesn't get all the chemicals it grew up with.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Justin's Peanut Butter Squeeze Packs on 12/13/2010 08:31:04 MST Print View

Justin's also sells the smaller size as well (.5 ounce) - you can get the line from Minimus these days as well.
http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=Justin

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Peanut Butter on 12/13/2010 09:51:53 MST Print View

I really like Scott's idea and it would work with freezer paper as well. I might have to try that out for our spreads. Like Tohru, I've been using the 4 oz Nalgene for butters.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
here's your snack recipe on 12/13/2010 13:53:13 MST Print View

One packet of Justins, mixed with one packet of Gu.

--B.G.--

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: here's your snack recipe on 12/13/2010 15:47:51 MST Print View

Or PB and "Stinger" packets, which are honey.

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Peanut butter lovers - what do you carry it in on 12/24/2010 21:07:57 MST Print View

These are great and there are other option besides Justin's.
http://www.minimus.biz/Spreads.aspx

I carry this myself.It is a lot lighter, but mixing is required. I used it on trail bars, tortillas, ect.
http://store.bellplantation.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-s/3.htm

For individual portions, check this out.
http://store.bellplantation.com/Sample-Packs-of-PB2-and-Chocolate-PB2-s/5.htm

Regards,
John

Edited by cabana on 12/24/2010 21:11:10 MST.