I am "Beefing Up" a FiveFingers for Off Trail Expeditions.
These will be 10 - 15 days in duration, with a pack weighing between 26 and 34 pounds, sometimes over rocky and muddy terrain, in a pair of FiveFingers TrekSport.
Here is what I have in mind:
Using foam from a 1/8 ThinLight Pad to cover 90% of the exterior, for abraison and impact resistance. Then, adding a purchased or homemade Ankle Brace to be sewn to the uppers for ankle support. I am also considering modifying a SuperFeet insole for added support, but not sure if that will detract from the function of the FiveFingers.
Six questions for you guys:
1. Would Mcnett Seam Grip be the best Adhesive for sticking the foam to the shoe exterior?
2. Would Foam from a ThinLight be the best material for the Exterior? It needs to be lightweight, durable, impact, and abraison resistant, and perhaps waterproof, as I'm guessing the ThinLight will be.
3. Thoughts on what Ankle Brace to use or on the Ankle Brace in general.
4. Thoughts on adding a Modified SuperFeet to fit into a FiveFingers?
5. Anything else that can improve this setup?
6. Any flaws you see in this setup?