Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Grand Canyon Gearlist
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Grand Canyon Gearlist on 09/15/2010 20:01:35 MDT Print View

I've updated the gearlist (no more D&D character sheets) in my profile to reflect my upcoming Grand Canyon R2R2R in one night. On the South Kaibab trail on Saturday, Oct. 9th...stay at North Rim Campground that night...back at car by Sunday afternoon/evening.

I'm estimating on the high side for consumables right now (I plan on avoiding carrying 3 liters where I can and can likely cut my food weight as well- probably carrying almost entirely energy bars) and will likely ditch some clothes (Driducks pants, Ion windshirt, maybe swap Thermawrap for a lighter down vest, etc.) depending on the weather forecast out the door.

Cheers.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
double crossing gearlist on 09/15/2010 20:53:42 MDT Print View

Looks solid. A few suggestions:

The trails are very, very sandy and dusty. I'd highly recommend dirty girl gaitors or the like.

3 liters is a good option to have. It could be very hot down at Phantom.

On that note, bring plenty of your fav electrolite replacement stuff.

Depending on temps, a thermawrap and summerlite might actually not be enough insulation for a night on the North Rim. Check the forecast for Jacobs Lake, and assume it'll be 10 degrees colder.

Depending on the forecast, you might leave the raingear home entirely. I have on trips that time of year.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: double crossing gearlist on 09/15/2010 21:36:58 MDT Print View

Thanks David.

I have Dirty Girls, I'll include them.

I was wondering about the temps, kinda waiting to see as I get closer. I was wondering if the Summerlite might be pushing it. Combined with a bivy and clothing I can push it down to ~25 degrees...But you're right- if temps are low, I'm probably better off with the simplicity/security of just bringing a 20 degree bag and a down jacket. Based on gear I already have, those two would only add ~10-12 oz.

I probably would ditch the raingear if the forecast is clear...or at least only carry a Driducks jacket in place of my windshirt (I'm comfortable with it doing dual duty, did it on a JMT thru). Would likely ditch the bivy as well, especially if I take a 20 degree bag.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: double crossing gearlist on 09/15/2010 21:51:43 MDT Print View

Take the "extra" gear with you.

Things change fast, and there is no penalty for leaving it in the car. Wishing you Had brought it, on the other hand...

To your gear list I would add -
-Bandana or some sort of nose wipe

I don't think you will need the -
-Trash compactor pack liner (unless rain is possible)
-Dri Ducks (unless a Lot of rain is possible)
-Map or Compass. It's literally straightforward. At most, take your ETAs & Mileage for the Tonto, Phantom, Cottonwood, and North Rim,... and back.

I assume the Marmot Ion serves as a very breathable windshirt?

Weather status can be found Here.
The area of interest is the pink box. You can zoom, click, and bookmark to define locations for the South Rim, North Rim, and Phantom. (This target is the Tonto/Kaibab Junction.) By watching it over the next two weeks you'll have a good idea of what to expect. I see that tonight the low on the North Rim is expected to be 45°F.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: double crossing gearlist on 09/15/2010 22:03:52 MDT Print View

Duly noted, thank you Greg.

Weather permitting, those items will be left behind.

I keep a bandanna tied to the haul loop on my pack...Forgot to list it (now when was the last time it was washed??)

The Ion is my windshirt. It's old, has holes burned in the sleeves and tears in the elbows and back (increasing breathability, of course)...but a new windshirt would cost 1/3 of the gas to the Grand Canyon...I'd rather hike :)

Thanks!