(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review on 09/14/2010 14:26:51 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review on 09/14/2010 15:35:13 MDT Print View

Ray,
Any observations why this tent would have condensation issues while the Hubba Hubba did not?

Both button up pretty tight. It seems like they would perform similarly in similar conditions....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review on 09/14/2010 15:53:35 MDT Print View

You mean the HP? It has vents in the fly I believe.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review on 09/14/2010 19:06:53 MDT Print View

Ah, yes. I see the HP Does have vents.

The old style Hubba Hubba does not.

I ask because on a recent trip with two Hubba Hubba tents, pitched within 50' of each other, one had serious condensation on night one and None on night two. The other Hubba Hubba had no condensation on either night.

So there must be weird variables that affect things.

I think a few more samples would be in order before rating this, or any, tent.

John Murtiashaw
(murda) - F

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond
dis tent on 09/14/2010 19:19:46 MDT Print View

I like the pole design. This has been my experience with SD gear as well; a good value but either clunky or with some notable issue.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: dis tent on 09/14/2010 22:31:11 MDT Print View

"This has been my experience with SD gear as well; a good value but either clunky or with some notable issue."

My experience as well! No quality issues, but:

1. consistently "optimistic" weight specs
2. heavy (clunky)
3. design issues

Two examples come to mind with SD tents:

1. SD Baku - Hybrid design that delivered the worst condensation performance of any tent that I've ever used -- even when tested in relatively dry southern Cal. Heavy too -- almost 2 whole lbs. heavier than the similarly configured Big Sky Mirage 2P!!

2. SD Solomente - Single wall 'breathable' tent. Simple and easy solo design -- but designed so short that one end or the other of my regular-size sleeping bag would touch the wall. A single wall tent should ALWAYS allow for space all around so bag won't come into contact with the wall(s) and get soaked!

But back to the SD Strike. The Strike strikes me as a tent for casual hikers who crave space (esp. headroom) -- and don't mind carrying a bit extra weight. Interesting design though.

Edited by ben2world on 09/15/2010 08:20:57 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Sierra Designs LT Strike 2 Tent Review on 09/15/2010 00:39:19 MDT Print View

I'd love to see SD redo this tent in 1.1 silnylon and nanoseeum.

Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
Tent review on 09/15/2010 10:37:13 MDT Print View

Another great review ray.still waiting for that copper spur tho.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: dis tent on 09/20/2010 18:00:09 MDT Print View

Yeah, I agree that SD makes some good stuff, but they just haven't hit the sweet spot with their lightweight gear yet.

>So there must be weird variables that affect things.

Greg, I believe there are things you can do to minimize condensation, but there can be times where two identical tents pitched right next to each other can have completely different condensation issues. SO many factors!