Forum Index » GEAR » Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben

Display Avatars Sort By:
John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben on 09/14/2010 09:13:31 MDT Print View

I noticed this morning that Lightheart Gear has jumped into the cuben fiber market. I emailed them this morning and their solo cuben fiber tent is 14 oz. I don't know if that's with or without stakes and tiedown rope.

Any thoughts on this tent???? It looks pretty sweet to me.

Edited by HairlessApe on 09/14/2010 15:16:57 MDT.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
old news ;) on 09/14/2010 09:41:34 MDT Print View

Ryan Jordan has been speaking very highly of his LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo tent, and a review is in the making, afaik. They're already since a good two or three months in the cuben market, btw!

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Re: old news on 09/14/2010 10:09:35 MDT Print View

It was my understanding that Ryan's only had a modified cuben rainfly with a silnylon body @ 19 oz. They're now showing an all cuben at 14 oz. I could be wrong...which wouldn't be my first time.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: old news on 09/14/2010 10:13:25 MDT Print View

John's description of Ryan's tent is correct, IIRC. The full cuben tent has been in development for a couple of months I believe and it is also seam taped which should be interesting.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Seam Taped on 09/14/2010 15:19:07 MDT Print View

Help me out with this. Is Lightheart's 'seam taped' the same as what Hyperlight Mountain Gear does?

From HPG's site...."we employ sealed seams which have tested stronger than the fabric itself".

Edited by HairlessApe on 09/14/2010 15:20:37 MDT.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Seam Taped on 09/14/2010 15:55:50 MDT Print View

Possibly. You'd have to ask the two vendors to be certain. I believe Lightheart is sewing the seams and then employing a tape over that like most mainstream tent manufacturers do with nylon. I also believe HMG is not sewing their tarps but instead using a bonding method (tape, glue, etc.).

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Lightheart Gear has Gone Cuben on 09/14/2010 16:17:12 MDT Print View

This is great news. It is exciting to see the fabric being used more by tent makers.

From www.lightheartgear.com:

"Now taking orders for Cuben Fiber LightHeart Solo Tents
All Cuben Fiber tents will come seam sealed (taped), and will have ultralight mesh windows."

Full cuben tent - walls and floor of WHITE CT0.6 - $550.00

Cuben tent with sil-nylon floor - $450.00

Full colored cuben tent - $575.00

Colored cuben with silnylon floor - $475.00"

Edited by biointegra on 11/30/2010 22:04:04 MST.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Seam Taped on 09/14/2010 16:42:43 MDT Print View

"I also believe HMG is not sewing their tarps but instead using a bonding method (tape, glue, etc.)."

Yes, they do bond rather than stitch. I guess we'll find out what Lightheart's doing before too long, now that their Cuben tents are going into production.

As Aaron said, it's good to see Cuben getting more popular. Maybe we'll see some more breathable Cuben in the future, too :)

edit: looked at the name of the poster I was agreeing with :)

Edited by Tamerlin on 09/14/2010 16:47:56 MDT.

Judy Gross
(heartfire) - F
LightHeart solo cuben tents on 09/14/2010 18:32:23 MDT Print View

HI, This is Judy from LightHeart Gear.

All seams will be double stitched, and seams that need it will be taped over the stitching for seam sealing. I have tried the double sided tape that is recommended for taping/gluing seams in the cuben but was not satisfied with it (I was able to pull the seams apart after a day). Aqua Seal seam sealer does work on it, and I use that to glue on reinforcement patches where the tie outs go, but it would be too difficult to use that to seam seal the entire tent. silicone seam sealer while it does stick to the fabric,did not adequately seal the holes (if you pull on the seam and stretch it, the silicone opened holes.

It is more critical to seal the cuben adequately than silnylon, since the cuben is not a woven material, needle holes leave gaping holes in the material, woven fabrics like silnylon, the needle just pushes the threads to the side and then they fill back in - it's like poking a hole in a piece of wax paper - the hole is there, so I feel taping the seams will be the best solution. And, it's NOT easy to tape these things!

I will ONLY be making solo tents in the cuben. There will be a seam in the floor of the tent since the fabric doesn't come as wide as the silnylon. These will be custom orders only, and I"m starting to offer options such as a zipper in the back wall to access the back vestibule, If there are any other options you think might enhance the tent, or something you would like, please feel free to email me.

Judy

Judy Gross
(heartfire) - F
LightHeart solo cuben tents on 09/14/2010 19:22:55 MDT Print View

I've been asked to provide more of a review - I'll write something up in the next day or so, but I want to mention about the floor. I was using a 2ml plastic groundcloth (it weighs 2 oz vs 5 oz for the tyvek). This was my only mistake. I had a hole poked in the floor on day 2. (patched with duct tape) As many of you must know, the JMT is full of pine cones, rocks,more rocks, and more pine cones, the 2ml plastic was not enough protection. I swithced out for a 4ml plastic groundcloth when I could and that was much better, but in the future I will certainly use tyvek. The option to have a silnylon floor (without a floor seam) is available, but I like the cuben because it is more waterproof than the sil.

The 14 oz was without stakes, but with all tie out cord. If you look at the picture of the tent I made for Ryan, one side had an awning, and there were 2 doors, he had water get in the tent (he had not seam sealed it, and I haven't heard back where the water came in from, I suspect some came in the windows. I'm going to play with the design, making smaller (higher) windows on the side of the awning, in cuben, this would lower the weight a little as the mesh weighs twice what the cuben weighs.

We started on a full moon, and it shown like a spotlight into the tent, so if someone is sensative to light, the plain standard white cuben is not the way to go.

I had no problems with condensation, but then it's pretty dry on the JMT. We had only a light rain/freezing rain or snow one night, I woke up to ice on the fly. what ever it was that fell from the sky that night made an interesting metallic sort of tinkling sound.

I'll be taking it out on the AT the first week in October. Hopefully I'll get a downpour to test it in the rain! ( I have set my lawn sprinkler on it for a few hours and got no water in it).
Judy
LightHeart Gear.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Cuben on 09/14/2010 20:10:09 MDT Print View

Just to clarify, you're using CT0.6K.08 (0.48oz.yd) right? The Lightheart site says it's made from CT0.6 which leads me to believe that, but maybe you meant 0.6oz cuben?

Have you considered using a heavier material than 0.48oz cuben or silnylon for the floor? It wouldn't look as good on the specs sheet, but 1.5oz cuben is a lot more durable and could likely be used without a groundsheet so it would actually be lighter overall. I personally like a nice 30-70D PU coated nylon floor which is more waterproof than silnylon in my experience and it's durable enough to be used without a groundsheet.

Edited by dandydan on 09/14/2010 20:10:56 MDT.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
Yosemite pine cones? on 09/14/2010 20:52:12 MDT Print View

Pine cones in Yoemite? Here is one next to my size 11 shoe!Yosemite Pine Cone

Judy Gross
(heartfire) - F
LightHeart solo cuben tents on 09/14/2010 21:21:49 MDT Print View

The cuben that I used was the CT0.6K.08.

Cuben comes in many many different weights, there is even one that has bias laid fibers to increase the overall strength of the stuff, but the heavier you go or add the bias fibers and it makes it much more expensive.

groundcloths are one of those personal issues - you either like them or you hate them. I am personally a big proponent of them, many here are not.

I am willing to make tents to whatever specs someone wants. That's the benefit of being able to offer custom sewing. I just can't give weights up front.
Judy
LightHeart Gear

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: LightHeart solo cuben tents on 09/15/2010 00:46:31 MDT Print View

I'm so glad this design is now done in cuben fiber.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Ryan's Review on 09/15/2010 12:33:21 MDT Print View

Does anyone know when Ryan's review is coming out on this tent?? I'm ready to get this tent, but I want to know if he's come up with any options he feels must be added.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Ryan's Review on 09/15/2010 19:13:03 MDT Print View

You can find his comments Here.

RyansLH
Among other things he says -

"...I specified a Cuben Fiber rain fly, dual zip doors, and one side of the fly set up as a porch for cooking and views. The dual doors let me stow gear on one side and cook and enter/exit on the other, and allow the whole thing to be completely unzipped with the fly rolled up when neither weather nor insects threaten.

I took this new 19 ounce shelter into ..."

Looking carefully, I'd say the body is silnylon.

Judy Gross
(heartfire) - F
Ryans Tent on 09/16/2010 11:17:16 MDT Print View

Yes, the body and floor of this tent is silnylon. It was made to his specs.

Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
Nice Looking Tent on 11/30/2010 21:12:46 MST Print View

Do you think he is using a stick or extra pole to hold up the awning? Really like that awning because you can have it open in the rain and still be able to look out/cook. Question for Judy, is the awning something that can now be ordered on your tents.

Marc Penansky
(MarcPen) - F

Locale: Western NC
Re: Nice Looking Tent on 12/01/2010 07:12:16 MST Print View

This is Judy - Yes, I am working on the design for the awning right now. I'm trying to make it possible to close up the awning side in a blowing rain to keep the interior dry, We did supply a pole for Ryans tent. When I get the design perfected, I will offer it as an option in both silnylon and cuben versions. The tent I'm working on right now like Ryan's will have 2 full doors and the regular fly side will have a fly that opens.
So, there are more zippers in the tent (more wight). When I get it finished, if I can get good pictures I will post them on the website and the facebook page. Hopefully it will dry up here a little so I can put it up outside to photograph it.
Judy AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Tents

Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
Cuban Solo on 12/02/2010 10:55:18 MST Print View

Looking forward to the pics. Thanks! Will you provide a weight as well?