Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Lloyd
( - F - MLife
Problem with Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp on 03/09/2005 17:41:00 MST Print View

I encountered a strange problem with my (new, just-purchased at REI) Princeton Tec EOS LED Headlamp. When "off" it continues to emit light.

In the light of day, I think it is impossible to sense the very small amount of light being emitted when the lamp is in the off position. I first noticed the problem in my tent at night, and I was convinced it must be moonlight, etc. reflecting off the lamp.

After confirming that external light was not being reflected, I removed the batteries and the light was gone. Batteries back in, and the light returned. Weird.

I am going back to REI for a replacement unit tonight, and I will report back.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

This is testable at home in a dark bathroom, closet, etc. I'm sure it's a very low battery drain, but any drain is too much IMHO.

Scott Downard
(Rook) - F

Locale: Northern AZ
EOS on 03/10/2005 08:01:29 MST Print View

I haven't experienced this problem with my EOS headlamp. Maybe you just got one of the inevitable defects in circuitry.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
That Eos Glow on 03/10/2005 11:22:18 MST Print View

After reading your post I checked the Eos (the one tested for our review) to see whether it had the same problem--it doesn't. I'll guess yours is defective and should be exchanged.

As a side note, the new Zenix IQ has a tiny "find-me" blinking LED in the lamphead that operates while the headlamp is switched off. Black Diamond claims it would take five years for this feature to drain the batteries.

Brett Lloyd
( - F - MLife
EOS Update on 03/10/2005 15:17:46 MST Print View

Update: I took it back to REI and got a replacement, no worries. The new lamp does not exhibit the problem.

REI was great, though they initially told me it was a feature intended to help me find the light in the dark. Hey, man, I write computer software: I invented the "it's a feature" excuse.

Hopefully this problem is rare, but I'd encourage y'all to check. Again, it's very low light: at REI I could only demonstrate the problem in a dark room, well back from the door (which had light coming in under it).

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
"It's a feature" on 03/12/2005 10:36:39 MST Print View

So *you're* the one.

Glad to hear you were able to exchange it easily, Brett. I hope the customer service folks behaved themselves in that dark room ;-)

Enjoy your Eos!