Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
British Army Ration Packs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Fraser
(cyphyr) - F

Locale: Light but NOT "ultra light"
British Army Ration Packs on 09/10/2010 05:16:35 MDT Print View

Hi Guys and a good morning to you.
First posting on a new forum and a question aboput food.
I recently "accidently" purchaced the following from ebay:

5 X ASSORTED MOD ARMY RATION PACK MEAL.
containing:
1 X CHEESY PASTA
1 X PASTA SICILIANA
1 X SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE
1 X OAT PORRIDGE WITH APPLE AND SULTANAS
1 X OAT PORRIDGE

for the princly sum of £3.50 + £4.00 P&P. They appear to be of the Freeze dried type so will be light and
compare well to mainstream freeze dried meals that seem to retail at about £4.00 per meal (+P&P.
Has anyone had any experience of these or similar? THoughts and comments please :)
Cheers
Richard

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: British Army Ration Packs on 09/10/2010 11:54:58 MDT Print View

Sometimes freeze dried food is sold that way on eBay. Some of it is very old. If you eat it, the flavors may be off, although it probably won't kill you.

--B.G.--

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
British Army Ration Packs on 09/10/2010 16:09:44 MDT Print View

Is there any indication of who the manufacturer is on the packages? Sometime the military gives contracts to the same freeze dried food manufacturers you see elsewhere. For example, I had a bunch of Vietman War rations that were made by Mountain House. They were quite good. I got them in 1971, and they lasted for almost ten years.

Richard Fraser
(cyphyr) - F

Locale: Light but NOT "ultra light"
Army ration pack arrived today on 09/14/2010 05:31:16 MDT Print View

Well its arrived. According to the label they're made by Westler Foods Ltd ( http://www.westlerfoods.com/Military-Rations.html )
The Best before date is August 2011 so they should be ok. I'm off to the hills as soon as my new shelter arrives so I'll report back then. It would be great to find a cheaper alternative to the expense of store bought rations.
Richard