Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight New Stock and Colors
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight New Stock and Colors on 09/09/2010 17:36:29 MDT Print View

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but today I received a closeout 2010 First Ascent Downlight Sweater size medium which was just too tight across the chest. I called up a local store and a salesclerk offered to try phoning some other regional stores looking for a Large. Well none turned up but but I was offered a trade-in on my 2010 for a discount on the new ones just arriving now at the same old price. I mentioned how well received the sweater was at BPL. The clerk said EB would like to get the word out about the new model. I was offered a straight across the board trade for the new model. I compared the old medium to the new one. The new one is less tight in the chest. Everything else is the same. Sleeves could cover my hands, lower hem nice length as in the review at BPL. They have NOT totally redesigned anything like the baffle size. So they changes are a gold color like the old 900 fill special and a new dark mid blue which is not eye-popping like the old blue. Cardinal and Black are still around. I got a black large and everything is roomier to the point that I could layer a heavy fleece under it or my rain gear for a vapor barrier. The salesclerk had the authority to do the swap and wasn't even the manager. So I'm suggesting to you that you talk to EB people on the phone or in person and plead your case for swaps. I will try to do really look over all the new jacket details and see if I spot more differences. And by the way that blue medium I swapped is already gone.Good luck to all you hunters. It is a great piece of gear.And hey this is REI level warranty and service! And for those of you trying to figure out size I'm 5'8" with a 48" chest. I just looked at the updated listing at EB .They say the fit for lifting your arms has been improved. Here's the general product page with new colors and great reviews.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37542&&categoryId=27376&categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-INSULATION&pCategoryId=27373&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS&gpCategoryId=27372&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&catPath=~~categoryId=27376~~categoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS-INSULATION~~pCategoryId=27373~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT-MENS~~gpCategoryId=27372~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&viewAll=y#BVRRWidgetID

Edited by Meander on 09/09/2010 18:12:41 MDT.

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
I like mine on 09/10/2010 00:05:04 MDT Print View

I like mine so I don't think I am going to use their generous return policy to swap to a new model.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: I like mine on 09/10/2010 06:49:47 MDT Print View

mine fits great (large for 6'0, 190).

Edited by rbeard on 09/13/2010 16:18:08 MDT.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Small was Big on 09/10/2010 08:33:27 MDT Print View

I ordered a small and was amazed how big it was..........I must be getting smaller.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
run big on 09/10/2010 11:58:01 MDT Print View

i got a med and it runs a tag big ...

Jimmie Rich
(syrmyth) - F
small on 09/10/2010 20:29:42 MDT Print View

Eddie Bauer always runs a tad big and for me (5'6" 145lbs) Most of their size small just doesn't fit me. A Size small EB is probably equal to a medium montbell.

Also, I have a size small blue down sweater from eddie bauer for sale. It is brand new with tags never been worn. I ended up getting a red one because I bought one of their shells which is also the same color red. Let me know if anyone wants it.

Scott Truong
(elf773)

Locale: Vancouver, BC
RE: Sizing.. EB vs Montbell on 09/11/2010 12:00:40 MDT Print View

I just ordered a bunch of 'em for myself and the crew. Thanks Rich for the size comparison w/Montbell.

I'm about 5'7. 155 lbs, and I found I needed a M with the Montbells (ex-light, UL inner, light down), but a S in the Western Mountineering Flash (really, really nice jacket btw). These sizes fit me perfect.

Hope the EB small will fit me well.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight New Stock and Colors on 09/11/2010 12:20:17 MDT Print View

The primary difference between the old + new models, which was explained to me by two of the clerks at a local EB store, is that the fabric is a bit heavier (maybe more calendaring also) for more durability and less down leaking.

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Re: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Downlight New Stock and Colors on 09/11/2010 22:03:16 MDT Print View

I might have to try this- my vest has been leading a fair bit of down. Every time I've compressed it I've had 3-6 down bits come most of the way out...