Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Spammed by Warmlite (Stephenson)
Display Avatars Sort By:
d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Spammed by Warmlite (Stephenson) on 09/08/2010 16:19:56 MDT Print View

I just received a bulk email from Jack Stephenson (Warmlite) that was basically an endorsement of Newt Gingrich's hate-ridden diatribe on his own personal take on religious freedom (i.e. that Islamic citizens seeking to distance themselves from radical Islam still shouldn't be allowed to build a place of worship in NYC). When I wrote back to tell him I strongly disagreed and to request that he not send me any more spam, he told me that obviously I was an Islamic terrorist and should go back to Hell where I came from (his words, I am not making this up!!!). I had no idea that there was such nutty politics going on at that company - I won't be buying any of their products, that's for sure.

I don't think he should be sending me emails about politics just because I evidently registered at the company's website once. I don't mind if he disagrees with my politics, but namecalling like that is just absurd and uncalled for.

Unfortunately, he just confirmed my stereotype of right-wing lunatics.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Spammed by Warmlite (Stephenson) on 09/08/2010 17:51:48 MDT Print View

Very unfortunate.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Spammed by Warmlite (Stephenson) on 09/08/2010 18:11:32 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by jshann on 09/08/2010 18:12:04 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Spammed by Warmlite (Stephenson) on 09/09/2010 00:39:31 MDT Print View

A complex issue. Here in the UK, there definitely has been a problem with Islamic places of worship being used by extremists to recruit young people and incite them to commit acts of terrorism. You may have heard of the bombings in London in 2007. As usual, it's a small minority causing trouble which tars the vast majority of moderate law abiding Islamic folk with the same brush in the eyes of those with prejudice.

Whether it's a wise move for a tent maker to pitch his opinions into the ring where his customer base is likely to be at least half composed of people opposed to the politics of the person he is endorsing the views of is another matter.

From what I can make out, Warmlite and the Stephnsons are.... individualisic in their approach to business anyway. Perhaps it's an indication the old man is about to retire, and he doesn't care about the consequences of his actions because the Stephensons junior don't intend to continue the business once he has retired.

Best order soon to avoid disappointment. :-)

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
more on 09/09/2010 00:51:46 MDT Print View

Heh - I don't think I'll be buying any of their products, especially now! I got another email after that one, with even less intelligible grammar. He's not exactly going to win me over to his viewpoint that way. I finally wised up and put him on my spam list, after telling him I would not waste time arguing with him.

I agree there is some complexity to the issue, but the email I got did not appear to acknowledge anything but hatred.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: more on 09/09/2010 00:58:14 MDT Print View

Best not jump to any hasty conclusions. Email addresss are easily spoofed. Could be someone else not Jack you are getting these mails from. I suggest you contact the company by another means and establish the truth of the situation. If they are innocent they will welcome the opportunity to set the record straight.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: more on 09/09/2010 01:16:01 MDT Print View

I don't know. It sounds like Jack Stephenson!

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: more on 09/09/2010 08:34:56 MDT Print View

Over the years I have received emails on bulk sending from a number of gear guys that were political. I just ignore them. I am extremely conservative in my politics but being who I am I don't involve it in my business - my Dad taught me that one - you keep politics and religion at home. Some people don't have a "filter" that says...hey maybe this isn't something to share.

So hit delete and realize that to them it is important - even if it doesn't jibe with your views.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: more on 09/09/2010 10:12:30 MDT Print View

Too right Bob, he's developed a decades-long reputation of blaming the user--vehemently--for any product failure. There have been entire Web sites dedicated to some of the battles. That the general attitude bleeds into politics I'll file under non-surprise of the week.

Rick