Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » The Beautiful Cup

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Murtiashaw
(murda) - F

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond
My method on 09/14/2010 19:00:45 MDT Print View

I monkeyed up a method with a %100 cotton bandana stuffed 1/2 way into a nalgene, then wrap a hair tie (or rubber band) around the lip to hold it on. The nasty bandana needs its own ziploc, but I've had it out 8 days and no mildew. Fill to desired amount of coffee and pour the water on through. After using this method on a few trips the white bandana turned a really pretty caramel color. Another note, starbucks must be pushing Via really hard right now, because I was talking with a buddy about it nearby a starbucks counter the other day and the barista gave me a bunch of free samples. So go up to your local starbucks and start singing the praises of Via in a very loud manner...

John Murtiashaw
(murda) - F

Locale: Ashvegas and beyond
omission on 09/14/2010 19:08:38 MDT Print View

i left out the part about machine washing the bandana. Otherwise that'd be pretty gross

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
+1 on the Starbucks' Via on 09/15/2010 11:25:09 MDT Print View

I was using the Jetboil press in my Snowpeak 700, perfect fit and the lid fits too! but once I discovered Starbucks Via, there is no going back. It tastes great and the clean-up is non-existent versus the press.

Ross Ulibarri
(ulibarri) - F - M

Locale: Southern Rockies
cream suggestion on 09/15/2010 20:05:04 MDT Print View

I currently like Via for solo and Turkish cowboy for groups. I don't like drip methods because on high altitude, cold mornings, the slow dripping makes for luke warm coffee.

What I have to add to this thorough discussion is to suggest Nido for creamer. Nido is powdered whole milk rather than skim milk which makes it much more like the half and half I use at home. Nido is a Mexican product. I used to bring it home from Mexico trips, but now I can buy it in all the local grocery stores where I live.

Ross

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
nido on 09/15/2010 21:01:20 MDT Print View

good suggestion-I use a mixture of nido and hot chocolate to give make my via a mocha, I also use nido in my cereal as well- more calories and MUCH better tasting than normal dried milk

my Walmart carries it- a big tin will last me quite some time

Darrin Montgomery
(dsm811@gmail.com) - F
Re: The Beautiful Cup on 09/16/2010 01:03:34 MDT Print View

I like steel cut oatmeal in the morning and usually just put the grounds in the oatmeal, both are chewy and a tablespoon seems to work longer than just a cup of brewed, although it takes longer to kick.

Thomas Trebisky
(trebisky)

Locale: Southern Arizona
Well, I'll give cowboy a try! on 09/17/2010 17:51:56 MDT Print View

Just when I thought BPL was just one gear review after another (yawn), along comes something like this!! Even if it is recycled from the print magazine, and even if it clearly predates the advent of Charbucks VIA. Wow, what artwork!

I love my jetboil french press, but haven't carried it in some time in my quest for ultralight. I am going to try making cowboy style on the bush-buddy after reading this. Heck, I may try making cowboy style at home to master the technique (but patience is not in my vocabulary first thing in the AM).

So ... what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee.

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Cold Brew Coffee on 09/19/2010 09:16:15 MDT Print View

Ill second using cold brew coffee. Its biggest limit is keeping it fresh in warm weather, but it makes a delicious cup really easily, hot or cold. I use about 1 ounce per normal sized cup. Less bitter than normal brew, and has a sweet taste so sugar isnt necessary. I think the speed and cleanliness of it would lend itself well to backpacking, even if weight is a tad more. I suppose making it in the woods wouldnt be too hard either. I make a liter at a time at home in a nalgene, then french press it, transfer it to another bottle for the fridge. Any filter method would be just as easy. You can buy it pretty cheap from coolbrew.com if inclined.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
Re: Well, I'll give cowboy a try! on 09/19/2010 09:53:20 MDT Print View

"So ... what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee."

VIA trumps Java Juice imo

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Well, I'll give cowboy a try! on 09/19/2010 10:20:33 MDT Print View

"So ... what is the word on VIA versus Java Juice?? At least I know where to get VIA, but may have to search for the Juice, but I won't bother unless there is a promise of superior coffee."

VIA trumps Java Juice imo

agreed- so lightweight and and soooooo easy, but still tastes good- it's not going to match your neighborhood bistro, but for backcountry use it's almost perfect

jimbo jones
(hawaiicruz) - F
My thoughts on 09/20/2010 00:01:25 MDT Print View

Ok My $0.02...
Cowboy is the only way to go for serious coffee drinking ULers.
A few tips I've learned. Grind EXTRA fine and ADD THE COFFEE TO THE BOILING WATER, boil for one minute and remove from heat, at that point, add the powdered milk, or whatever to the pot (it will help settle the grounds). let it sit calmly for a minute and then pour. The first cup will have a few grounds but they will quickly sink to the bottom, after that, all the grounds will stay in the pot.

The whole trick to not spitting grounds is the fineness of the grind.

Starbucks via LOL

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: My thoughts on 09/20/2010 07:47:01 MDT Print View

"...for serious coffee drinking..."
"...add the powdered milk..."

I didn't know serious coffee drinkers adulterated ;-)

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
coffee on 09/22/2010 11:31:41 MDT Print View

Yes - I agree with what others have noted. VIA is superior to JAVA JUICE (and Javette, a similar product).

This has changed how I camp with coffee.

And I still drink it black.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: coffee on 09/22/2010 12:33:10 MDT Print View

^ coming from the author, that says a lot :)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: My thoughts on 09/22/2010 15:54:25 MDT Print View

"...for serious coffee drinking..."
"...add the powdered milk..."

Milk is for killing the harsh taste of Instant Coffee when that is all you are offered as a guest.

Real coffee is black.

cheers

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: My thoughts on 09/22/2010 15:55:31 MDT Print View

"Real coffee is black."

WORD

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Toilet paper on 09/22/2010 16:09:32 MDT Print View

1.Scatter used toilet paper in an appropriate area - bushes or brushy areas work wonderfully.

2. Do NOT scatter used toilet paper on rocks or rocky areas. If you are above tree line, pack used toilet paper with you until you get to a zone with living flora.

3. If you are in an impacted campsite, walk a long way from the site before scattering.

4. Never dispose of used toilet paper in a river or pond!

5. Don’t be lazy. Do the very best you can when you scatter your used toilet paper

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
SENSO bags on 09/22/2010 16:28:20 MDT Print View

I have to agree with a previous poster, I've tried VIA instant and it's the best instant (Taster's Chice a close 2nd).

But I still prefer SENSO bags for better tasting camp coffee without too much fuss. Remember, mornings are when groups like to polish of breakfast quickly, pack up and hit the trail. Time is of the essence.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Via vs. JJ on 09/22/2010 16:48:10 MDT Print View

Via suits my tastes compared to Java Juice, although JJ makes more per packet. You might prefer JJ to Via if you like a winey, tangy backbone to your coffee. That's not how I generally roll, but JJ remains leagues better than everything on the market that's not Via.

I somewhat prefer the Via Italian roast to the Columbian, but Costco can't seem to convince themselves to carry it. Lowest price wins anyway, since they're not that different.

cheers,

Rick

Travis Naibert
(outwest) - F
homemade via/turkish on 09/23/2010 10:00:05 MDT Print View

For those who like Starbucks Via but don't like how much it costs or the small packaging I have created a homemade hybrid that is only a little messier, cheaper, and tastes about as good (maybe better).

Combine 3 tbsp turkish or extremely fine ground coffee and 2 tbsp of cheap instant coffee in a small tupperware. Shake to combine. Add 1 tbsp to 12 oz of boiling water. Stir or shake, depending on container. Let sit for a minute. Drink good turkish-like coffee with only half the sludge.

Feel free to adjust the proportions of real to instant coffee to suit your tastes, but you really don't need much real coffee to get decent taste. My method makes 5 cups, which is three days for me (first afternoon, two cups a day following).