The Beautiful Cup
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Dodd
(wdd39)
re: The Beautiful Cup on 09/08/2010 13:43:30 MDT Print View

It is not the very lightest method, but I strongly recommend the Aerobie Aeropress as a very portable way to make excellent coffee. It can easily be customised to hold ground coffee in the plunger.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Caffeine free substitute: Barley Coffee!! on 09/08/2010 18:03:19 MDT Print View

Nice, fun article, Mike!

If anyone is sensitive to caffeine, or likes a hot drink before bedtime without the buzz keeping them awake, I just discovered a coffee substitute: Oskri's Barley Coffee. Its an instant drink that, although does not taste exactly like real brewed coffee, can help those who need to do without caffeine.

coffee

Considering that it's not even coffee, Oskri does a really good job with the flavor!

Edited by T.L. on 09/09/2010 19:51:53 MDT.

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Well done article! on 09/08/2010 18:09:22 MDT Print View

I 3rd Joe's comments. Coffee is like sex. We all have different tastes and techniques but it can really perk up ones day (no decaf allowed) .

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
Awesome -- even better on line on 09/08/2010 21:01:13 MDT Print View

Mike, if there were a tip jar I'd stuff it with bills.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: The problem with Via on 09/08/2010 21:38:13 MDT Print View

The Jetboil French Press also works with the new GSI Minimalist :)

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
The beautiful cup on 09/09/2010 02:43:51 MDT Print View

Dang - I could barely read this without getting all excited.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Clelland never disappoints... on 09/09/2010 07:01:08 MDT Print View

and this is no exception.

After reading this, I went to our grocer to find the Republic of Tea strainer...instead, I found one from ForLife. Sort of in between the MSR and the RofT...cost $9, and weighs 3oz., and has a lid like the MSR

http://www.forlifedesign.com/infusers-strainers/433.html

Jason Castellani
(TwoBackpackers) - F
So Many Ways on 09/09/2010 09:12:39 MDT Print View

Seriously, I never knew there were so many ways to make coffee. I honestly give it up on the trail, only because I usually keep myself so busy I forget. But, these ideas might get me to change my mind. Excellent read and drawings.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re "The Beautiful Cup" on 09/09/2010 09:49:42 MDT Print View

Try this on for size ."Combat espresso, on the other hand, is brutal. The creamer, instant coffee and sugar are poured directly into one’s mouth and then washed down with water. In 2004, I survived on those things for two weeks with a Marine company during the battle for Falluja." From the NYT today .
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/weekinreview/05gilbertson.html?hpw

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: "The Beautiful Cup" on 09/09/2010 10:03:57 MDT Print View

Heh, hilariously hard-core, John. :-) (Understandable, given the circumstances.)

My standard "ultimate dirtbag hiker breakfast" challenge is a ground-up NoDoz tablet sprinkled on a PopTart. Nobody's taken me up on it...yet.

Cheers,

Rick

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Thanks for all the kind words on 09/09/2010 10:44:37 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the kind words about the article. This thing was written a while back, and my system now includes STARBUCKS VIA packets. Yes, these are instant, but they are actually quite good.

Expensive, but VERY light and simple. These are also good cold.

Presently - I use these solo camping. Two packets per cup. But - If I am with a pal, I would do COWBOY coffee in the titanium pot.

cheers,
Mike C!

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Via or... on 09/09/2010 11:05:17 MDT Print View

Same shelf as the Ti sporks

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Via or... on 09/09/2010 11:20:09 MDT Print View

There goes my sub-10lb base weight.

joe newton
(holdfast)

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Just to clarify... on 09/09/2010 12:03:08 MDT Print View

...my comment about the abundance of UL down jacket reviews that seemed to become a weekly feature was in no way a sleight on the quality of reviews here on BPL (because on the whole they are very, very good). I just felt that they could have been tested and reviewed side-by-side in one article, freeing up editorial for more articles like this one by Mike (and his Groovybiotic article) and other highly informative, some may say legendary, technique articles such as the winter footwear trilogy, the one about winter soft-shell systems and the one about surviving persistent cold rain. These are the kinds of specific 'UL' articles you just can't find anywhere else. Just my 2 kroner.

Oh, and as for coffee, I like Ethiopian through a filter at home and use Via on the trail. I may put a sachet of sugar in the first one of the day. Forgive me Mike for I have sinned... ;-)

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Coffee Bean Storage on 09/09/2010 12:16:41 MDT Print View

Mike,

What about coffee bean storage? How do you keep the ground beans as fresh as possible in the backcountry?

joy robinson
(yojiness) - F
great article! on 09/09/2010 16:46:50 MDT Print View

You are cracking me up!!! I just wish everyone was a coffee drinker so we can all share the deliciousness of it all!!

Not ultralight, but one luxury I afford myself are the single serving creamers (real stuff with no flavors added)that you can now purchase at the grocery store...real cream with my coffee outdoors and it could rain for days, I wouldnt care :)

Benjamin Evans
(bevans)

Locale: Atlanta
sugar option on 09/09/2010 17:58:04 MDT Print View

Not sure if it was mentioned, but sugar cubes are available in most grocery stores. These are great for just plopping a couple in a cup of java or tea. No need to measure out before your trip...just multiply cubes per cup by meals. I always throw a few extra in the ziplock for a late night brew or a particularly rainy day.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"The Beautiful Cup" on 09/09/2010 19:46:40 MDT Print View

x2 packs of VIA bold + Hershey's Cocoa + 1 powdered creamer single = Backcountry satisfaction of the highest degree.

Excellent article Mike, I definitely needed this one and enjoyed it fully.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: coffee on 09/10/2010 06:19:20 MDT Print View

We've taken Via on our last couple of trips. Easy and fast, tastes pretty good.

For extra coffee goodness during the day, I like to eat chocolate covered espresso beans. A very small handful of those puppies gets me climbing hills like nobody's business. Love 'em.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: coffee on 09/10/2010 07:00:11 MDT Print View

For the purists -
Kyocera ceramic hand grinder at 8.4 ounces : http://www.orphanespresso.com/Kyocera-Ceramic-Coffee-Grinder-CM-45-CF_p_1993.html

In use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0ABtsARso