Cat Jasins
(CatJasins) - MLife
SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/02/2006 04:03:30 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

superultralight_backpacks_review_summary

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/03/2006 10:18:39 MDT Print View

I'm wondering, for those of you experimenting with SUL this summer, what is the range of volume (ci) you are finding you need in an SUL pack?

Do you prefer a tiny pack, like the MLD Revelation, and strap stuff to the outside, or a big pack (e.g., Gossamer Gear G5) with everything inside?

Stuff on the outside of the pack bugs me, but it's usually because of aesthetics. I don't like looking like the walking version of Sanford & Son (queue intro music here). Of course, in bushy places it's nice to keep the outside in order as well.

Graeme Finley
(gfinley001) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/03/2006 10:34:31 MDT Print View

I started with SUL about a year ago using a G5 that ended up being half empty, which is what prompted me to get a G6 (I'm now waiting on delivery of a Prophet). I hate having stuff hanging off the outside, and have found the G6 to be big enough for 3-4 day trips in moderate temperatures (nothing less than freezing at night).

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/03/2006 11:46:45 MDT Print View

For 2-3 days, I find that I typically want 1800 cu/in.

I like most items inside for several reasons: aesthetics is one part of it, but having a smoother profile reduces the amount of snags when I go cross country. I also think having the pack tightly packed with the weight close to my back carries better (especially when I am fastpacking / trail running)... items outside the pack seem to generate additional torque.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Re: Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/03/2006 13:01:57 MDT Print View

30 L is about as small as I can go for a two or three day trip.

I've adopted a bit of a different viewpoint on my pack sizing ....

My summer Bag takes up about 8 L, my Clothes take up about 8 L with a high loft pullover, I reserve 2 L for mic. gear such as first aid, headlamp, etc, 2 L for my Gatewood cape, 2 L for my pad, and 2 L for my A6 Adventure Bivy.

This takes up 24 L of volume.

Water and Food remain ... 2 L of water added to a 33 L pack leaves 7 L for food and cooking gear ... 0.6 L for cup, spoon, windscreen, and stove, and about 400 cu in for food, or about 3 and a half days worth ( a little over 2.1 L per day, food and drink mixes).

A 40 L pack will take me out to about 5 days with the extra food, TP, fuel, and a book tossed in.

I typically carry a 62 L pack for trips over 5 days.

mark henley
(flash582) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/03/2006 14:04:01 MDT Print View

Of course, with higher density foods and careful repackaging I could push that down to, say, 1.6 L per day.

eric levine
(ericl) - F

Locale: Northern Colorado
Pack Volumes on 08/04/2006 01:30:48 MDT Print View

I have never found a larger pack size a disadvantage in practice, especially when one has the option of not using a top extension or large outside pockets, as in the G5.

I'm a big fan of keeping my $700 worth of down bags packed as loosely as practical, and find a larger pack is much better for this.

I also believe sleeping bags should ideally be packed on top, so as not to be compressed with each step taken, which again is easier with a larger pack.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: SuperUltraLight Backpacks REVIEW SUMMARY on 08/30/2006 22:56:14 MDT Print View

A 1800-2000 ci frameless pack is just about right for me when hiking for 2 or 3 days.

I too dislike hanging things outside my pack (mainly due to aesthetics) -- with one exception: my tent. When arriving at camp, I like being able to access and set up my tent without disturbing (or even opening) my pack. This is especially advantageous in the rain -- no worries about exposing pack contents to the rain.

When striking camp, I do all my packing inside my tent/vestibule. After my pack is all zipped up, I then take down my tent and attach it to the outside of my pack.