Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cleaning Cambelbak before first use?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Garrett M
(GarrettM) - F
Cleaning Cambelbak before first use? on 09/03/2010 15:33:48 MDT Print View

I just got a Camelbak Omega 100oz, and I assume that it's recommended to be cleaned out before your first use?

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Cleaning Camelbak before first use on 09/03/2010 15:56:44 MDT Print View

Yes - Hot soapy water and rinse it well. If you have a bottle brush around it can be useful in really scrubbing it.

One of the regular posters here - I think it was Ben - suggests using a cheap Wal-Mart aquarium pump to run air through the hose overnight to completly dry it. I haven't done that yet, but it's on my list.

Mitchell Murphy
(Texico) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Hot water on 09/05/2010 11:29:08 MDT Print View

If I remember correctly, all I did was run hot/warm water through my camelbak before I used it. I didn't have any ill effects from doing so. Also, I don't use the "cleaning kit" that people sell with it. I just empty my camelbak and put it in the freezer as soon as I'm done with it. The freezer keeps any bacteria and other things from growing in it. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and it still is like new. No need to buy the cleaning kit with it.

Scott Truong

Locale: Vancouver, BC
Bleach. on 09/05/2010 12:50:21 MDT Print View

Is it a good idea to wash out platy/camelbacks with bleach and how much bleach does one use?

Will it leave residue or taste?

I've been storing them in the freezer. Good idea.

Joe Cangelosi
(JoeFish) - F

Locale: All Over California
I wouldn't use bleach on 09/05/2010 12:55:25 MDT Print View

Bleach degrades most everything it comes into contact with. I store my camelbacks on a hanger in the closet with everything open, and I never had a problem.

I flush them with water before and after using.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: I wouldn't use bleach on 09/05/2010 13:38:41 MDT Print View

Agreed, or at least stick with the couple-drops-per-quart concentration, and avoid laundry bleach with perfume. Really, it's only for a mildew outbreak and unnecessary as a preventive.

Hot water and baking soda after getting home, then completely drying it before storage does the trick. Don't store in a closed and humid environment.



Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: I wouldn't use bleach on 09/05/2010 14:32:32 MDT Print View

For regular use, methinks the best is normal dishwashing liquid followed by several good rinsing. No need to use bleach -- unless you've got mold and 'gunk' accumulating.

As for storing the bladders in the freezer -- that's fine -- if all you use the bladders for is storing plain water. But if you use them for sweetened drinks and are careless about washing/rinsing afterward -- freezing will not necessarily stop mold from growing.

And finally, for those (like me) who are impatient about waiting for narrow-mouth Platypus bottles -- and especially hydration tubes and inline filters -- to dry completely -- connecting them to a cheap Wally World aquarium pump works really well.

Edited by ben2world on 09/05/2010 14:36:47 MDT.

Aaron Reichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Re: I wouldn't use bleach on 09/07/2010 09:30:11 MDT Print View

You should clean out any new plate, bowl, cup, etc.

Pumping water through bottles, tubes, and filters will clean them to some extent- but physical contact is the most effective way to clean just about anything. Especially bottles- you can use bleach until you're (literally) red in the face, but the inside of a well-used Platy will still have a slimy texture until you actually clean the thing...

Bleach is generally overkill, especially in the way that it is used by many germaphobes. If that's your bag, use a low concentration and allow the tube and bottle to air dry. You don't have to wait for it to be entirely dry, but wait at least 10 minutes. Then rise well.

CDC recommends a concentration of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for sanitizing food containers. You could safely use up to a 4 tablespoons, but I wouldn't use more than that- it's not going to do a better job of sanitation, and you'll still need to give it time to dry, etc. And rise it a lot more.