Forum Index » Chaff » Going both ways..........

Display Avatars Sort By:
bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
Going both ways.......... on 09/03/2010 00:17:52 MDT Print View

This has nothing to do with losing weight.

Had a couple of strange encounters today......
I live in the very northern center of Montana about 30 miles from the Canadian border. A little town called Havre. We are seriously in the middle of nowhere here. Even so we get our share of cross country bikers because Highway 2 (main street) just happens to be the northernmost continuous highway from St Paul MN to Spokane WA. Anyway.....

I went to break at ten this morning and found a guy dumpster diving behind the convenience store. He was on a bike that had five gallon buckets split in half for panniers. Talk about MYOG. I asked him where he was coming from and he said the East Coast. His worst day was 42 miles and his best was 75. (The wind blows hard up here.) It was obvious he was subsisting off dumpsters, but he was happy.

Flash forward to five pm........
Met a German guy just off the train. Today was his first day. He's heading for Maine. He also has front and rear panniers, (Green Peace, enviro friendly, not sold in our country...so cool...) He is carrying all his food so he is living off the same calorie dense diet we would. He too was happy.

Just food for thought.
Hike Hard. Hike Often.
BJ