Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Got a Wild Hair

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
Got a Wild Hair on 09/02/2010 20:14:39 MDT Print View

Ok, I've been prone to doing this all through my climbing days, but now its creeping into my UL hiking as well...

Here's the deal; I'm considering a wild hair of a trip and taking off mid Sept and just going and doing the JMT North to South in a 12 day span, give or take a day... are there any others out there who have thought about trying to get this hike in this season?

I'm open to suggestions, but bottom line is that I'd love to just go and do it. Let me know what you think about the idea, and if its something we want to make happen. I have some people in certain locations physically that could help with logistics, so who knows? Cheers!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Got a Wild Hair on 09/02/2010 20:30:24 MDT Print View

By logistics, I wonder if you mean food resupply?

I've seen guys knocking out the whole JMT North to South and out to Whitney Portal in ten days, and they did it without any food resupply. I'm not saying that is the only way to do it, but it is one possibility. That works good if you are trying to take off some body weight by the end.

Since you are now starting this discussion, I assume that you have not tried to mail any food packages out in advance.

--B.G.--

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Re: Re: Got a Wild Hair on 09/03/2010 08:25:40 MDT Print View

I've thought about doing a single re-supply at Muir Ranch, mailing a minimum there. I'm not sure I want to try and do the high mileage days with a full load in the beginning. Sounds like it could hurt! I could take extra fuel in my pack, and then mail 5-6 days of food to Muir, that would make the mailing easier.
I'm also not really a solo hiker, so would like to test the waters to see if there are any others who might like to give it a go.
I'd even be interested in doing half of it, and get picked up at Muir Ranch if that made it any easier due to weather or time constraints.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Re: Re: Re: Got a Wild Hair on 09/03/2010 16:46:41 MDT Print View

Well, Muir Ranch is closing Sept 19, so that makes a re-supply there a bit difficult. In addition, they take all the free buckets as well, so no way to slide in there with skinny rations and bolster the foodstuffs.
Looks like it will take a fast schedule to make it work this time of year.
Anyone interested? Let me know what you think!