Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3..
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Locale: Great Lakes Area
Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3.. on 08/01/2006 18:13:32 MDT Print View

Everyone has helped out tremendously! Converting to UltraLight. My bag is the last of the big 3. I am doing the AT section Hiking. In the Spring and Fall is the goal, when work permits. I am still in the Southern half, making 100 miles a section. Looking for 16 -24 oz. bag. I need your suggestions. Thanks! John I presently have a Marmont 15 Degree bag 800 fill down. How can I improve on this?

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Marmot Sawtooth? on 08/01/2006 19:08:02 MDT Print View

Probably have the same ~3lbs 15deg Marmot down bag I have! :) It's weight isn't killer but it certainly doesn't pack down very small which really is needed with small packs.

If you're a Western Mountaineering fan, their Ultralight is 26oz and a 20deg bag. If you've got extra clothes already and/or temperatures aren't too low you could easily do the 16oz WM Highlight too.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3.. on 08/01/2006 19:17:36 MDT Print View

I have a MontBell super stretch and I love it because it's like the best of both worlds... it fits close like a mummy bag... which helps keep you warm... but it's stretch baffles allow you to move around in it like a barrel bag. Apparently... the temp ratings on these bags are very accurate. Make sure to take into consideration how "warm" you sleep tho'. I'm a warm sleeper.

Anyway... TONS of options out there. Western Mountaineering makes some of the best. Also, if you want to go to a "quilt", check out Nunatak.

I found the sleeping bag to be the most difficult decision. It's the most expensive peice of gear with the most options out there to choose from!

If you have Excel (or Open Office) download this file from my site. I put it up for you. It's an old gear list... but if you look at the last tab / worksheet... I have a side-by-side comparison of about 16 different bags in the 14-26 oz or so range...

http://www.davidlewis.ca/imagesCampingGear/GearList.zip

While you there... if you're interested... I also have a page about a stove that I made...

http://www.davidlewis.ca/stove/

It's different now tho'. I use a hardware cloth stand now and the windscreen is much tighter. The windscreen was way too big in my original plans.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/01/2006 19:19:33 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Re: Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3.. on 08/01/2006 19:29:03 MDT Print View

Here is my comparison table in HTML... for those who don't have Excel:

http://davidlewis.ca/imagesCampingGear/sleepingBags.html

I did this about a year ago... so it might be a little out of date now. Also... my prices are in Canadian dollars and my ratings are in Celcius.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/01/2006 19:42:35 MDT.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Humble Suggestion. on 08/01/2006 19:35:11 MDT Print View

If you want to get light in the sleeping bag department I definitely suggest looking into western mountaineering bags.They only make down bags though.

Cheers, Jeff

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
MLD Devotion series on 08/01/2006 19:53:11 MDT Print View

Go to the Devotion page of Mountain Laurel Designs and take a look at the Devotion's general concept and construction. If it interests you, email Ron Bell for additional information and/or questions about custom work (sizing, temp rating, etc.).

John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Thanks on 08/02/2006 07:32:10 MDT Print View

Thanks guys! I'm all over your suggestions.

John

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3.. on 08/03/2006 04:41:29 MDT Print View

> Looking for 16 -24 oz. bag. I need your suggestions. Thanks! John I presently have a Marmont 15 Degree bag 800 fill down. How can I improve on this?

An option is to buy/get/make a quilt to throw over this bag. One with a Quantum shell and about 300 g of 800 loft down. Include a foot box (single layer underneath) just to keep control of the lower end. We do this.

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Glenn Roberts
(garkjr) - F

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
One more thought on 08/03/2006 05:15:24 MDT Print View

Will you be carrying some sort of insulated clothing anyhow? (Something along the lines of a Patagonia Micropuff or similar.) If so, you may be able to get a lighter-weight sleeping bag by gettting one with a higher temperature rating (say, a 30 degree bag instead of a 15.) When temps drop below freezing, wear some or all of your clothing to bed, and wrap your feet loosely in a T-shirt, poncho, etc., to fill up the air space at the foot of the bag. You can probably add 5-10 degrees to your bag's rating this way; if you sleep in a tent or a bivy (maybe, with a windbreak) you may be able to add another 5 to 10 degrees. I currently use a 40-degree WM Mitylite (hoodless, semi-rectangular) bag, and have successfully slept in a bivy sack, with a set of R.5 longjohns, R1 fleece, and balaclava in 25-degree weather.

You should, if possible, try this at home before you leave, just to be sure it will work for you (body type - warm or cold sleeper - will affect your success.)

John Chan
(ouroboros)
Nunatak on 08/03/2006 10:16:43 MDT Print View

Might be an expensive combo but you might also want to look at some of Nunatak's latest offerings.

They now offer a "elephant-foot"-like arc bag (for your lower torso) and coupled with they're Skaha Plus you can use it as a multi-purpose sleep system. Nunatak also has a new full sized Arc bag named the "AT" that's a little wider in the girth to accomodate more real-world figures or more ventilation options in the summer. I'm currently using an Arc Ghost and Arc Alpinist (both for the winter). This system is the most versatile sleep system I've ever used as I'm carrying 14 oz from spring to fall, 30 oz for winter (system can be taken down to -25 C with a bivy sac). That said, I wish I'd waited for the smaller Arc bag to come out cause I also own a Skaha Plus. Would've made the Arc Ghost redundant.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

What are the big 2? on 08/05/2006 13:24:31 MDT Print View

By the way John... you say you're down to the last of the big 3... what were your choices for the other 2... the pack and shelter? Just curious. Mariposa Plus and Lunar Solo?

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Sleeping Bag ? Last of the Big 3.. on 08/05/2006 14:06:32 MDT Print View

Don't forget the JacksRBetter No Sniveller Quilt. I love mine.

John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Mariposa Plus on 08/05/2006 14:32:36 MDT Print View

David....I've decided to go with the Mariposa Plus. I can't beleive that they are out of stock. I spoke with a person from Gossamer on Friday, he was the only one there. Out to lunch they were. They are in a transition of making Small, Medium and Large. However, he told me that they put a shipment in and got a ton of Large with Small waist belts. Not me. Go figure. I was so hyped and now I have got to wait until Sept. or Nov. 2006. David.....after talking with the guy, which uses the Mariposa, he told me if you use the Z-lite (?), the 3 accordian pad for the back stability, it keeps the pack too far out from the body and only uses 1 or 2 sections. I'm starting to worry about this... He also said, if you don't put something behind your back for support, the stays can dig in. I know you have this pack, I beleive. ALL replies are absolutely welcomed.

Edited by jrowling on 08/05/2006 14:34:31 MDT.

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Re: Mariposa Plus on 08/05/2006 15:07:11 MDT Print View

Hey John,

I have the regular Mariposa. The recommendation is not to use it with more than a 6 or 8 section z-rest... 8 at the max. An 8 section z-rest opens to 41.5" long. I've used it with a 8 section z-rest and it seems fine to me.

I've also used it with a 3/4 length Thermarest ProLite 3 in the pocket... ever so slightly inflated... also works fine.

If you want, you could just use a 20" x 10" Gosammer Gear SitLight pad in the pocket and put your sleeping pad inside the pack or lashed to the outside. You could use this tiny pad as a sit pad. You do want something in the pocket if you're using the stays... but the SitLight only weighs 1.4 oz.

Another option... if you want that added weight to be put to better use... would be to use a 3.7oz NightLight pad in the pocket and combine it with a 10oz Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite inflatable pad. You could combine the two to make a full length sleeping surface... the inflatable for your torso... the foam for your legs. This has the advantage that if your inflatable pad springs a leak... you can still use the foam pad.

So there are lots of options. Sucks that they are out of stock though. Personally... I think the regular one would be fine since you're always going to be on open trail... and section hiking. The G4, G5 and Mariposa have all been used by a lot of people on AT thru hikes though the years. I notice that the plus is rated up to 35 pounds tho'... as opposed to 30. To be honest though... I don't know if I'd want to carry more than 25 pounds in a Mariposa.

Edited by davidlewis on 08/05/2006 17:49:34 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Mariposa Plus on 08/05/2006 15:21:27 MDT Print View

John I will sell you mine for $80 including shipping in the price. Mine has a med./large hip belt. It is blue and has only been used once.

email at kennethhelwig@sbcglobal.net if you are interested.

Edited by kennyhel77 on 08/05/2006 15:22:16 MDT.

John Rowling II
(jrowling) - F

Hi Ken. on 08/05/2006 16:51:50 MDT Print View

I'm still trying to figure this out! Thanks for the offer.