Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightest Trail Runners with Large Toebox?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
The vasque mindbender on 01/07/2011 21:28:35 MST Print View

these are light and fit the foot well in the midfoot but have a lot of space in the toebox. these are minimal but have a little bit of pronation control if you are used to wearing brooks. MT101's are good and so are the montrail masochists. Masochists are probably my favorite trail shoe for long distanes. Low to the ground, but supportive, and with a big toebox.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
My latest favorite Golite shoe ... on 01/08/2011 17:16:34 MST Print View

For this year, I tried out three shoes: Mazuno Wave Ascend 5, Montrail Sabino Trail, and Golite Amp Lite.

The first two don't feel like they have quite the toe box width as the Golites do; my guess is that I would get sore feet after a quite a few miles in either (bunionettes). I think the Golite Amp Lite's would be okay, but they don't feel very cushiony, quite a hard feel, and I'm not fond of the really minimal tread.

So I got a couple of other pairs of Golite's (I'll eventually wear all of these shoes out, but it's worth it to pick one good model to get lots of ...), and I'm now thinking that the Golite model for me among this year's offerings is the Blaze Lite. I don't have a lot of miles on these yet, but a 5 mile walk a couple days ago left me feeling happy.

My subjective sense is that all of the current Golite's are *slightly* less wide in the toebox area than previous years models, but not by much; I think they'll still work fine for me. When I can do so I'll put in some longer mile days with the Blaze Lites and then order maybe seven more pairs.