Forum Index » Chaff » Dual Survival

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Dual Survival on 08/28/2010 09:52:15 MDT Print View

Anyone seen this on Discovery Channel?

Two guys with very different survival training backgrounds are thrown together into "survival" situations. I know, sounds familiar and contrived.

What I do like about it is one of the guys, Cody (Lundin?), is a minimalist.

Barefoot, 24/7, over jagged limestone, deserts, rainforests. Fires by bow and flint strikers. Finding duff and heartwood. This Cody guy looks like the real deal. At first I thought he was overweight but he's put together like a tank. Home turf is the desert southwest and he does not wear shoes!

Have to admit, I'm impressed. I'll bet Bear Gryllis is watching. Check it out.

Steve Parr
(srparr) - F

Locale: SE Michigan
Re: Dual Survival on 08/28/2010 11:22:59 MDT Print View

I like the show, and I enjoyed Cody's book 98.6 ...
Nice to see the extreme contrast in techniques. Both guys are awesome, but I like seeing Cody put his techniques into action!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Dual Survival on 08/28/2010 12:25:30 MDT Print View

Y'all give that hippie boy some Chacos and he'd walk all over that redneck feller. He has better bushcraft and food gathering skills overall. He just needs some treads :)

Check out the new Les Stroud show, "Beyond Survival." I watched it last night and he went jungle walking with the Devil Dancers of Sri Lanka. Very cool.

http://lesstroud.ca/beyondsurvival/ep3.php

Edited by dwambaugh on 08/28/2010 12:33:15 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Hey, I sell tarps to that RedNeck Feller. on 08/31/2010 22:08:53 MDT Print View

Dave Canterbury.

You got to see him shoot an arrow using a sling shot.

He uses only the best when it comes to tarps=== mine. LOL.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Dual Survival on 09/27/2010 12:23:43 MDT Print View

I watched 3 episodes last night. Enjoyable program. It seems to me that when Cody is walking barefoot his steps are very "tentative;" that is someone who does not walk barefoot all the time. But I do like his kicked-back personality versus the other guy's intensity. I guess the dichotomy of personalities helps make the show work.

When I was a kid I was barefooted all the time, as were several of my friends. Played football and baseball in the streets on asphalt. Ran track and cross country barefooted, until it was "outlawed" by school officials. We walked and ran normally. Cody walks like a tenderfoot (sort of like the kids who wore shoes all during the school year -- and needed a few weeks of toughing up during the summer), not someone who does it all the time.

Maybe it is my nature not to believe anything unless I can prove it.

Obviously this show like the "bear guy show" is somewhat staged, since there is a camera crew along, and more than likely a lot of set-ups. But there is some useful information to be gleaned from it.

I like Les Stroud (sp), because he is often by himself and is the cameraman. And I am sure he sets his episodes up to some extent.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
bear on 09/27/2010 12:27:25 MDT Print View

bear gryllis is awwwwsuuum

lol

Art ...
(asandh) - F
. . . on 09/27/2010 13:45:18 MDT Print View

. . .

Edited by asandh on 09/27/2010 23:23:37 MDT.

James Ayres
(scrivner) - F

Locale: Southern Turkey
Cody on 10/05/2010 16:33:46 MDT Print View

Hi Nick,

I didn't see that Show, but I first met Cody at a gathering hosted by Bounder Outdoor Survival School. Cody had been with BOSS before starting his own school. He was barefoot when I met him. I have never seen him in shoes once in over fifteen years, and that includes snow, although he will concede to socks in deep snow. The bottoms of his feet look like leather.

He has always, since I have known him, walked the way you describe. I asked him why. He said it had to do with being conscious of each step. Cody walks his own path, but as a former survival school instructor and a guy who's had his feet in the dirt for over 60 years, I can tell you that he knows whereof he speaks.

Cheers,

Jim