Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard
Display Avatars Sort By:
joseph daluz
(jfdiberian) - F

Locale: Columbia River Gorge
wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 07/30/2006 21:35:33 MDT Print View

10'x12'  rectangular tarp with 16 tie outs.  Cost about $10 to make.total wt. 17oz.

Edited by jfdiberian on 07/30/2006 21:37:14 MDT.

WADE JANSON
(SHADE) - F
Re: wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 07/31/2006 11:58:48 MDT Print View

Was that 60" wide material?
In your picture it looks wider.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 07/31/2006 13:06:04 MDT Print View

I think I see a ridgeline seam, although it is very clean. Nicely done!

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Re: Re: wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 07/31/2006 13:36:28 MDT Print View

I'm confused... did you buy this tarp at Walmart... or did you buy Silnylon at Walmart? $1/yard? That's insane. You could make a classic TarpTent for like... under 30 bucks.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 07/31/2006 14:43:15 MDT Print View

David,

Yep, it's awesome - probably way under 30 bucks, if you could find the mesh cheap.

Ben

evan parsons
(freestyleparsons) - F

Locale: Dowtown LA
Can I buy online? on 07/31/2006 19:59:27 MDT Print View

Hi Benjamin,

Can I buy this silnylon online? I checked walmart.com but I may have missed it.

Where were you able to find yours?

And BTW, nice find.

evan

Jessen Jacobsen
(SmokiesHanger) - F

Locale: Boulder
Reinforcement on 07/31/2006 21:03:21 MDT Print View

Did you reinforce any of the tie-outs?

Brian Kelly
(bkelly) - F
Re: Can I buy online? on 08/01/2006 10:32:33 MDT Print View

Evan-
The silnylon is available in-store only, and not every store will have it. The $1/yd displays are made up of remnants from various sources, and the stores don't have any control over what they get. I have only found silnylon once, but have also found:

coated ~1.9oz ripstop
uncoated ~1.9oz ripstop
coated 2.6oz ripstop
coated taffeta (haven't weighed it yet)

For a buck a yard, beggars can't be choosers (the 2.6oz is almost a safety orange), but it's great for tinkering and home projects. Heck, the wife and I plan on using some of the coated stuff to make stuff sacks to wrap gifts for our outdoorsy friends.

Also, someone mentioned making a hammock out of lightweight nylon meant for lining garments (also out of the $1 bin).

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
walmart on 08/01/2006 20:52:52 MDT Print View

Just went by my local walmart to search out, and found nothing. Joann Fabrics has some ripstop, but its $7/yd.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: walmart on 08/02/2006 13:14:13 MDT Print View

Watch out for Joann; Their ripstop is almost always Nylon 6, not Nylon 66, almost always 70D - or 1.8 oz/yd. Nylong 6 is only 1/2 the strength of Nylon 66. Their stuff tends to be excessively calendered (hear set) - which also weakens it.

Mireille Halley
(tinyscrafts) - F - MLife

Locale: So Cal
walmart sil nylon on 08/02/2006 14:13:41 MDT Print View

joseph,
Thanks a million for the tip!!! I just scored at my local walmart. they had one bolt of it, in white! Can you provide some close up photos or directions on how you attached those guylines/made it? I'm not much of a sewer but i want to try this :)

Edited by tinyscrafts on 08/02/2006 14:53:14 MDT.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Re: walmart sil nylon on 08/02/2006 15:36:40 MDT Print View

Mireille - just check everything really closely to make sure it's actually silnylon and not DWR stuff. The walmart material's coatings tend to be inconsistent, so sometimes it's hard to tell which is which until you test it. Either use water, or try and breathe through it - the DWR stuff will allow you to breathe through easily, while the sil is pretty resistant to air.

Just a tip so you avoid the mistakes I made the first few times I picked up fabric from the $1 bin...

Ben

Mireille Halley

silnylon on 08/02/2006 16:13:55 MDT Print View

i really think it is, so far i've hung it (full of water) in a cup and no leakage at all, I tested both sides. I've squirted at it and tried to blow thru it it's like a balloon or something, no air is going thru. I'm so giddy. I'm going back for more. Wheee!
now, the thread??? and guy lines? do i sew those reinforcement patches on?

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Re: silnylon on 08/02/2006 21:03:59 MDT Print View

Awesome! With the $1 bin, when you score you score! And, yeah, it's a good feeling ;).

Use polyester thread - 100%, no cotten content at all. Guterman is highly recommended by most of the experts I've spoken to. If Walmart doesn't have it, Joanne or Hancock fabrics will.

The guyout loops (that you tie the guy lines to) can be made of grosgrain ribbon - Walmart will have this too, if not in the color you want. The guyline can be anything - most 1/8 inch cord will work well. BPL sells some really nice spectra line, and you can find Kelty Triptease at most decent outdoor shops, online or local.

In my experience, the reinforcement patches are overkill, but others may disagree.

Jessen Jacobsen
(SmokiesHanger) - F

Locale: Boulder
Re: Re: silnylon on 08/02/2006 22:02:22 MDT Print View

I also just scored some SilNylon at wally world, just under 5 yards!

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

What cities are you folks in who are scoring the silnylon at Walmart? on 08/03/2006 01:24:14 MDT Print View

If you haven't cleaned them out, what cities are you in? I'm in the San Francisco Bay area.

Mireille Halley

walmart on 08/03/2006 01:58:13 MDT Print View

I cleaned out the town center walmart on carson in long beach (so cal). I may check the others just to see what they got.
thanks! now what to make...hmmm...

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

The search is still on on 08/03/2006 21:18:41 MDT Print View

I hit two Walmarts today, one yesterday. Still no luck. Not really any outdoor fabric at all.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
wal mart sil nylon: $1.00/yard on 08/04/2006 00:32:20 MDT Print View

Joseph Your The Man!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sil-Nylon. I picked up 15 yards at the Anahiem Walmart tonight.

Dwight Shackelford
(zydeholic) - F

Is it all gray? on 08/04/2006 13:23:10 MDT Print View

Is the color all of you are getting gray?

Just visited another Walmart and couldn't find any. Bought some cheap shoes with velcro lace ups though.