November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT speed record
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Link
(sierracanon) - F
JMT speed record on 08/27/2010 20:27:31 MDT Print View

I ran into Aaron Sorenson at Whitney Portal a couple of weeks ago. He was planning an attempt to make a new speed record on the JMT, and was to start on Aug 18. Does anybody know how this turned out?? Thanks.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"JMT speed record" on 08/28/2010 08:15:55 MDT Print View

I imagine if Aarons' attempt at setting a new speed record on the JMT was fruitful we would've heard about it by now.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: "JMT speed record" on 08/28/2010 14:05:00 MDT Print View

Didn't go so good.
I had some type of bronchial problem going right from the start.
Getting up whitney took almost an hour longer than expected mainly from just trying to catch my breath. I was 2:10 behind record pace on top of forrester but was just thinking the 2 biggest passes are now over and will get better here on out. Ran down to vidette with no problems but when going up Glen it hit me with a ton bricks.
Knew the attempt was already over about a half mile past the Charlotte Lake Jnc and it went down hill really fast after that.
The last 4.5 miles to the Rea Lakes Ranger Station took me 6.5 hours.
I felt and still feel as if I have a VO2 max of around 15.

Oh well, there may be another time?
For now I just need to get back on my feet. This had a weird by serious effect on me.

My two good friends are heading out to the TRT to go for the Unsuppoted Record, so enough about me, good luck to them.