Locale: Wisconsin
Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 16:21:30 MDT Print View

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hangemhigh2000#p/u/3/U0T5LRC1KGE

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 16:58:44 MDT Print View

Is that video a joke or is that person really that stupid?

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 17:00:16 MDT Print View

Wow, that was something. Thanks for sharing, jacka.... ;)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 17:02:14 MDT Print View

Eugene, unfortunately I think he's for real. He's got some other gear videos up, and this guy is truly a class act.

What bugs me is not that he dislikes Tarptents. Its how he goes about publicly disliking them in a manner that's not conducive to even the smallest bit of rational thought.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 17:09:37 MDT Print View

I don't care that he dislikes TarpTents, I dislike that the rating system and comments are disabled so that more knowledgeable people can't rebuke his claims for the benefit of potential buyers.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 18:09:15 MDT Print View

Man he is offensive, I like how he thinks that a stake pushed in an inch will hold anything. Who's the jackass? Yet it's his tarptent. Moron.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 18:30:32 MDT Print View

I think he is serious. Oh..... and boy he is dumb

Beau Beveridge
(Roadtorque) - F
Beowulf's thought on packing water on 08/26/2010 18:41:40 MDT Print View

almost as good as his advice on how to pack more water
http://www.youtube.com/user/hangemhigh2000#p/u/11/BHc_YNKWbkE

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 18:43:45 MDT Print View

I actually agree with him that the velcro should extend the whole way down and that the single peg at the front is a point of weakness. I have added extra velcro to mine as in strong winds it can rip open without it.

I have a Squall and testing it in strong wind found that the front peg supplied came out of the ground even when it had been fully pushed in. The result total collapse of the tent. I now use a v sectioned peg that holds much better and have added to extra lines to the front.

If memory serves me well it was these very two points that led Chris Townsend to conclude that the Squall wasn't suitable for UK conditions when he reviewed it in TGO a few years back.

Don't get me wrong I really like my Squall, but it isn't perfect.

As the video goes on he just gets crazy.

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
:) on 08/26/2010 18:45:31 MDT Print View

this guy has some issues! wow entertaining though...

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Lordy, hilarious in a pathetic sort of way . . . on 08/26/2010 18:46:26 MDT Print View

>I dislike that the rating system and comments are disabled so that more knowledgeable people can't rebuke his claims for the benefit of potential buyers.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. His attitude and language refute his point of view. The rhetorician in me really pities the guy. His ethos is so weak and transparent that I doubt very seriously that he is persuading anybody that isn't on his side already.

Christopher Holly
(climber72) - F

Locale: At my desk
Oh my... on 08/26/2010 18:58:11 MDT Print View

So skip to the 4 minute mark for an amazing rant about headnets, potatoes and girls he wants to 'drill' who have to much vanity.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hangemhigh2000#p/u/16/d-fv1ZAnoic

So glad I am in CA - I'd hate to run into this guy on a solo trip!

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention his SNAKE GUN - seriously!

Edited by climber72 on 08/26/2010 19:01:19 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER. on 08/26/2010 19:00:35 MDT Print View

I have a Squall and testing it in strong wind found that the front peg supplied came out of the ground even when it had been fully pushed in. The result total collapse of the tent. I now use a v sectioned peg that holds much better and have added to extra lines to the front.

That seems to me to be more a problem with the stakes than the design of the tent. Sadly, there's no single stake that works in for all applications. There are several ways around this. You found one. The guy in the video did not.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
"Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER." on 08/26/2010 19:02:05 MDT Print View

LOLOLOL THAT is one very angry man! I'd hate to run in to him anywhere. I have one word he might consider... Therapy.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER on 08/26/2010 19:43:55 MDT Print View

1 peg...
That has been one of the reasons why some can work the Warmlites and others cannot.

I shot this silly little video to show what happens if the right peg is used and inserted correctly :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaeMpU9o_Y0
(I am only 70kg and need to practice my push-ups...)
as the review on stakes here at BPL has pointed out , the longer stakes have a better grip (funny that) and the Y type work particularly .
Of course at times you will have loose soil or sand, in that case there are some good tips here :
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ditch_your_stakes.html
Franco

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: "Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER." on 08/26/2010 20:38:29 MDT Print View

Wow I'm glad I sold my TT Squall Classic before this insightful / honest video was released and all these engineering defects were discovered.

Favorite Line from video: Have A Nice Day JackAss!

+1 Therapy

Edited by FastWalker on 08/26/2010 20:39:18 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: "Most ridiculous Tarptent video. EVER." on 08/26/2010 21:10:27 MDT Print View

I want to know who he's talking to. There seems to have been a singular person who left a comment at one time that irked him something awful.

People aren't ruining backpacking. THIS guy is!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
tarptent video on 08/26/2010 21:34:32 MDT Print View

".......and don't try setting it up on the sidewalk either..because it needs to be staked down.......".
Oh no, I can't set it up on the sidewalk? Forget it then.

Jim York
(jimbawb) - F

Locale: PNW
I wanna know... on 08/26/2010 22:32:20 MDT Print View

What town this guy lives in and where he packs...so I NEVER go there...anyone that carries a firearm and is that angry is a bomb waiting to go off...

Edited by jimbawb on 08/26/2010 22:33:12 MDT.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Who's the real jacka--? on 08/26/2010 22:36:19 MDT Print View

Tarptents can be a little tricky to pitch but sheesh this guy is straight nuts.

The blue colored text on the youtube page belonging to that jacka-- is kind of hard to read. Maybe if he wasn't so busy boiling over with blind rage about tarptents the jacka-- could have actually picked a color for the text that would pop.

I'm with you Roger! I absolutely love the parting shot this guy throws out in his video -"Have a nice day jacka--"
I started laughing uncontrollably at that point kind of like a jacka-- come to think of it :)

Edited by frankenfeet on 08/26/2010 23:01:55 MDT.