Forum Index » GEAR » Sleeping Pad confusion - inflated "to the max" or not?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Sleeping Pad confusion - inflated "to the max" or not? on 08/26/2010 15:07:04 MDT Print View

OK - I am getting confused here.
For "maximum insulation/warmth", should an sleeping pad be inflated as much as possible for maximum distance to the (cold) ground or quite the opposite because "air is a conductor of warm/cold", meaning more air in the pad = colder???
Thanks,
Sven

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Sleeping Pad confusion - inflated "to the max" or not? on 08/26/2010 15:10:08 MDT Print View

I think the more important factor is insulation, especially with DAM's. If your pad is under inflated and you're compressing the insulation, then you'll probably be colder.

But, I haven't really noticed a difference with my DAM. As long as I'm not actually touching the ground, I can adjust the inflation to suit my comfort and still stay warm.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Inflation on 08/26/2010 15:20:34 MDT Print View

My understanding is that in an air only mattress (Neoair???) the more air the higher the R value.

Chris Lucas
(ChemE) - F

Locale: SC
The More Air the Better on 08/26/2010 15:41:32 MDT Print View

Air isn't the best insulator but none the less the larger the distance between the top and bottom of the sleeping pad, the slower the rate of heat conduction through the pad. Don't think of cold air as actually existing, there is no such thing as cold only heat.

Philip Maynard
(Autoxfil) - F
More air! on 08/26/2010 16:15:09 MDT Print View

From personal experience and the science, I know that more air is warmer in my NeoAir.